Mars images from Spirit, Opportunity and Curiosity

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Mars images from Spirit, Opportunity and Curiosity

Postby ayache_o » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:47 pm

I am reaching out as part of a citizen science project sponsored by ESA called LabelMars.

Thousands of images of Mars taken by Spirit, Opportunity and Curiosity Rovers have been made available to the project.

We're looking for help from the community to label geological features within the images taken from these past missions. This will be used to form the basis future robotic exploration missions to Mars and also enable large-scale analysis of the Martian landscape.

If you're interested in space and geology I urge you to have a look at this exciting community-driven project: LabelMars that will help transform our exploration of the red planet.
ayache_o

Re: Mars images from Spirit, Opportunity and Curiosity

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:49 pm

ayache_o wrote:I am reaching out as part of a citizen science project sponsored by ESA called LabelMars.

Thousands of images of Mars taken by Spirit, Opportunity and Curiosity Rovers have been made available to the project.

We're looking for help from the community to label geological features within the images taken from these past missions. This will be used to form the basis future robotic exploration missions to Mars and also enable large-scale analysis of the Martian landscape.

If you're interested in space and geology I urge you to have a look at this exciting community-driven project: LabelMars that will help transform our exploration of the red planet.

Sounds like a good idea - here's the link you were unable to post
https://www.labelmars.net/
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby ayache_o » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:01 pm

Thank you :)
ayache_o

Postby spartan45 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Is this project similar to the USGS Astrogeology Research Program, which referenced 30 quadrangles of Mars, allowing ultra large detailed maps of the areas to be printed? Collectors prints centred on Oxia Palus were on offer by people running a kickstarter campaign. I asked why Oxia Palus (7.9n 18.0w) because it looks very ordinary on Google Earth – Mars; but no reply.
If I were to pick a region of interest on Mars, the Cydonia area 40.89 degrees North, 9.55 degrees West, a position about 9.4 km to the NNW of the face (40.74n 9.46w) and 14 km North of the D&M (40.65n 9.55w ), would be selected. A microphone to listen to the sounds of Mars would also be included. Good luck helping the mainstream in connecting with space exploration.
spartan45

Return to General