Switch to mobile style

May 'Best Buy' - William Optics binoviewer

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

RE: May 'Best Buy' - William Optics binoviewer

Postby lukeskywatcher » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:00 pm

With a binoviewer, can you still change the EP on your scope and fit the binoviewer onto the scope? or does the binoviewer attach onto the scope without say a 4,6,10,32mm EP?

Basically im wondering is if the scope or the binoviewer control the magnification?

If it is the scope that dictates the magnification by use of different EP's GREAT. If it is the binoviewer then thats not so great.
lukeskywatcher

Postby brianb » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:33 pm

The binoviewer goes into the eyepiece mount & you mount two of your own eyepieces into it. Obviously they need to be a matched pair! The magnification you get can therefore be changed according to what EPs you choose to use.

The binoviewer itself has a built in tele-extender (Barlow) which increases the focal length of the scope by about 1.6x. This is necessary in order to reach focus, the extra optical length is more than the back focus tolerance on most scopes. Unfortunately this restricts the low power capabilities of the scope when the binoviewer is in use.

Some people love binoviewers; I don't, but please don't let me put you off trying one. But I'd suggest trying one belonging to someone else before parting with money.

brianb

Postby lukeskywatcher » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:33 pm

So to use one with your scope you need 2 of each EP's?

Talk about a rip off and bad design.

I wasnt interested in buying one but i'm even less interested now.
lukeskywatcher

Postby mba007 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:06 am

Bought WO binoviewers at Astrofest last year. They are brilliant for the Moon (which is my pet subject), but they are quite heavy and can cause balancing issues on inflexible setups. The 1.6x barlow (for my binoviewer) is a separate option that can be screwed in if required, i.e. not built in. Don't know whether the latest version have them built in (as bbrian hinted at)?
mba007

Postby ibase » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:06 am

Hi all,

Greetings! A scope binoviewer virgin here and my 1st post here as well. Having read and heard much about the virtues and joys of bino viewing, (not to mention the hazards to the pocket for twin EPs - which mm's are ideal candidates?) I've taken the plunge and the WO bv set for use in my c8/c6 SCTs is now on its way. I'd like to ask if I can use a 2" barlow (GSO type with removable lens) with it? Can it be used simultaneously with the standard 1.6x barlow that comes with the WO set? I will be using it in a 2" WO dielectric diagonal. What combination/s will work or be good to use? Any weight issues with all these bunched together?

And can I also use it with the Orion ShortTube 80? [image]http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/questionicon.gif[/image]

Sorry for asking so many questions, thanks much, will appreciate any answers/comments.

Best,

Hernando
ibase

Postby mavrickxxx » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:16 am

The thing that seems to be a problem on the cheaper bino viewers is the screws that tighten up the EPs. People are saying that you have to muck about with them quite a lot to be able to see through them properly. Which might mean you miss that all important phenomenon that youve been waiting years to see. Sounds like a bit of a problem that could be sorted quite easily. Even the cheaper bino viewers are still a bit of money. The best all round ones seem to be the Williams bino viewers but could be out of reach for alot of people including me lol. I think i'll be trying to get a second hand pair. Ive seen them for £179 with 2x20mm EPs (new).
mavrickxxx

Previous

Return to First Light and Group Test