May 'Best Buy' - William Optics binoviewer

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

May 'Best Buy' - William Optics binoviewer

Postby sky at night team » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:56 pm

[size="4"][b]William Optics binoviewer
[/b][/size][url=http://www.iankingimaging.com/]http://www.iankingimaging.com[/url]
[hr]
[image]http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/TEMP/william_optics.jpg[/image]

Anyone familiar with the William Optics philosophy of high quality at a reasonable price will be glad to know that it extends to binoviewers. Conceived very much as an observing system, the unit comes in a presentation box with two wide-angle 1.25-inch eyepieces of 20mm focal length in addition to a 1.6x Barlow lens. The latter screws into the front of the binoviewer nosepiece, permitting you to use the unit with a wide range of scopes, from Newtonians and refractors to Schmidt- and Maksutov-Cassegrains. We were especially pleased to note that William Optics provides safety undercuts on the nosepiece and the eyepieces. This means that if the screws in your scope’s focuser or the unit’s eyepiece holders slacken off, your precious investment isn’t going to go crashing to the ground.

[hr]
In the May issue’s Group Test, the contact telephone number printed for the William Optics binoviewer was incorrect. It should be [b]Ian King Imaging, on 01892 834 004.[/b] Our apologies to Ian King Imaging and Telescope House for the error.

[hr]
Read the full review and more in this month's Sky at Night magazine.

Best Wishes,
Sky at Night team
sky at night team

RE: May 'Best Buy' - William Optics binoviewer

Postby timelord52 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:13 pm

[b]Will these work on the ETX 125 ie would the weight of these cause any problem on the scopes tracking and will it need counter weighting?? [/b]
timelord52

Postby sallan » Sat May 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Have looked at bino viewers in the past as i struggle squinting in one eye and wondered if these would be a solution. Could anyone that has or uses these give any feedback on how they rate them and would they be of any benefit in smaller scopes. As always any comments would be appreciated.

Simon
sallan

Postby reggie » Sat May 10, 2008 6:50 pm

Simon, one way to get over squinting is to use an eyepatch on the eye you usually squint with and just keep the squinting eye open when viewing. I don't have any experience with binoviewers though.
reggie

Postby brian mac » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi,
once you have used a good binoviewer there is no going back to 1 eye
viewing, it is simply the best, there are 2" binoviewers for the big scopes
(£900) and simply the cheap ones for the little ones, i use mine with a 120mm refractor, and i could look at satern all night, you have to use a
barlow to get focus and that takes it to 4x, so my 20mm eye pieces give me 200x and that is great for my set up...briam mac
brian mac

Postby danialsturge » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:00 pm

could you remove one of the sides and attach a camera to the end, so you have eye viewing through one and photography ability in the other?
danialsturge

Postby psychobilly » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:33 pm

In Theory yes...
You would have to make the EP and the camera parafocal and the IPD might make viewing with a camera in place a bit of a problem... would probably work ok with a webcam though.

Also remeber your splitting the available light between the EP and the Camera without the advantage of the "brain" to re-combine the two.

Billy...
psychobilly

Postby light bucket » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:40 am

I have owned one of these for a couple of years and it is brilliant, I use it with my "trusty" Celestron C150HD to view the Moon. Once you have correctly focused and balanced each eyepiece the results are stunning.

The only problem I have is that the focus tube on my scope is too long to allow me to reach focus, not enough in travel, so I have to unscrew the evepiece holder which leaves no locking screw. It also is quite heavy so it is probably not advisable to use it with small scopes.

If you are looking for a bino viewer look no further than the WO.

It looks and feels like the quality product it is.

Worth every penny IMHO.

light bucket

Postby pulsar » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:36 am

would love a pair
why are there so many things to spend your money on these days it's boggling my brain [&:][&:]
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

Postby wombat » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:26 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: pulsar

it's boggling my brain
[/quote]
it's boggling my wallet [:(][&:]
wombat

Next

Return to First Light and Group Test