Meade ETX 80 - ISS & The Moon

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Meade ETX 80 - ISS & The Moon

Postby CSgt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:58 am

Hello all!

I just recently purchased the Meade ETX 80 Backpack, and I am just wondering if a) is it possible to view and track the ISS and b) what is your opinion on the view of the Moon using the factory eye pieces?

Thanks in advance!

Chris.
CSgt

Re: Meade ETX 80 - ISS & The Moon

Postby Aratus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:16 pm

This is a 80mm refractor with a very short focal length on an az-azimuth mounting with a 'goto' computer.
With suitable software (ASCOM capability?) which also tracks satellites it should be possible to view the ISS as it moves across the sky. It would have mounted very firmly, and be aligned very well though.

You've already noticed that the magnification is pretty small. This telescope is not designed with planetary or lunar viewing in mind. It is a good sized telescope, and gives good bright, wide angle views of star clusters etc, but cranking up the magnification to see planetary and lunar detail is not straight forward. I believe it comes with a x2 barlow lens. You could try buying a x3 or even a x4 barlow and using that instead for increased magnification.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Equipment Advice