Switch to mobile style

Meade ETX-LS vs Nexstar 8SE XLT

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

RE: Meade ETX-LS vs Nexstar 8SE XLT

Postby chaletreynard » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:03 am

So this ACF is all about a flat field at higher Magnification?
I have seen the diagram relating to a Coma free starfield I just cannot help but think its more guff or am I missing the point here?
Could this not be achieved with a quality EP?
chaletreynard

Postby brianb » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:56 am

[quote]Could this not be achieved with a quality EP?[/quote]
If you design the EP to exactly match the coma & field curvature of the scope, yes. But once you're using scope specific EPs, the choice goes down the toilet & the price goes through the roof.

A GOOD eyepiece assumes the objective is perfect. The fact that none are is irrelevant.

brianb

Postby james s » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:26 am

Let me just throw this into the mix...

I've now found a Meade Lightbridge 12" scope brand new and boxed for UNDER £700
If I buy a Baader Collimator, a Meade 4000 Eyepiece set and a Lightshroud (reinforced so as not to reduce aperture halfway down the tube) I'm now only looking at spending £1001.

Dobs really are cheap per inch aperture!

Presumably, this should give a brighter more satisfying image than the ETX-LS and/or the Nexstar 8SE and the trade off is portability and weight (and of course no 'go-to')?

What scopes do you guys prefer to use when not astro-imaging?

Thanks!

James
james s

Postby chaletreynard » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:43 pm

I see it like this. I have 10" Meade sct as well as a 12" Dob. The views of M13 cluster and DSOs with the dob basically render my Schmidt into semi retirement.
A 6" ETX-LS will be a severe disappointment from a Visual observing standpoint.
"Aperture Aperture Aperture" brianb 2009[:D]
chaletreynard

Postby james s » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Chaletreynard

Thanks for that: a really honest answer!

...and I have acted upon the advice received here and by others and also the conclusions of my own research and bought a telescope!

It's a newtonian (so the advice from Sky at Night Magazine is heeded too) and it's a 12" Meade LightBridge.
Expecting delivery before the end of the week.

What on earth happened?
Why for example did I not go for one of the telescopes aimed directly at me? (Meade ETX-LS LightSwitch for one) well the reason is that I simply don't believe that I'll be happy with the images they produce - and this is a personal opinion of course.

If the ETX-LS was an 8" and not a 6" I think I would have jumped at the chance of owning one, because it's portable, up to date and clever - everything going for it!

As a newbie I've not had to spend too much money on getting started and I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about the night sky.
The LightBridge is also greener: the mount is made of wood which I can recycle.

Very many thanks for all your help!

James S
james s

Postby chaletreynard » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:56 am

Hi
I think you have made a great decision. The lightbridge Dobsonian will have you scanning the skies and finding more objects in one evening than the ETX-LS could ever manage. The biggest plus as well is the speed at which the scope will cool down, which in turn will enable you to see planetary objects quickly. The shroud will also help keep the scope away from the dreaded Dew build up that SCTs are famous for.
You have bought A really lovely scope with superb clarity optics.
From a recycling stand point my old Compressed paper Celestron Skyhopper 10" Dob took some beating for eventual recycling, but to be honest you will love what that scope will show you and I dont think you will ever recycle it unless like me, your going to move up to a 16" when you win the lottery.
Happy days and even happier Viewing nights.
Nigel in Snowdonia
chaletreynard

Postby james s » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks Nigel!

Thanks for the support.
I've also ordered a set of 2" filters, a red lamp and some binoculars...
Oh, and I'm not sure I'll be recycling it either, but the option is there at end of life - I guess!
Cheers!

James
james s

Previous

Return to First Light and Group Test