Meade Infinity 102mm refractor

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Meade Infinity 102mm refractor

Postby Rose Waldron » Fri May 20, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi there, I recently became interested in astronomy, so bought a cheap Meade telescope (the 50mm infinity refractor), but now want to upgrade. I have looked at various refractor models in my budget and have decided to stay with the Meade Infinity range as I like it the most. Was just wondering if anyone has the 102mm refractor that could give me a realistic review. Thanks :)
Rose Waldron

Re: Meade Infinity 102mm refractor

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi Rose
Welcome
I don't have one of those, but I found this review on the Cloudy Nights website. It may have more technical detail than you're looking for, but the overall impression from a very experienced user is that optically it's very good - and for a starter telescope it's excellent

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articl ... 2-az-r2915
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Fri May 20, 2016 7:49 pm

I don't have one either, but I do know someone who has one. It seems to be a good telescope for its price. It has an inverting prism (I think), either way it gives a 'corrected' view through the eyepiece, so it can more conveniently be used as a terrestrial telescope. That dims the image a little, but it is a 4" refractor, and there should be plenty of light to spare! It is very light and portable.

It's all very basic, but if this is an upgrade from a smaller version for you, it is bound to be an improvement.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Rose Waldron » Sat May 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Thank you very much, the advice has been a great help :) I'll put it on my Christmas list then :D
Rose Waldron

Return to Equipment Advice