Switch to mobile style

Mercury and Venus are now visible in the evening sky

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

Mercury and Venus are now visible in the evening sky

Postby Astro Chav » Tue May 28, 2013 12:41 pm

I did a webcam image each of them on Sunday night. Whilst neither look as spectacular as the Moon and Jupiter (at least Venus will get better later this year) seeing Mercury at all is quite an event and I hadn't seen it through a telescope for years.

Both are showing a gibbous phase.
How can I be at one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it actually is?

http://philippugh.onlinewebshop.net/Phils_Gateway.html
Astro Chav

Re: Mercury and Venus are now visible in the evening sky

Postby tich » Tue May 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Well done for capturing those, I went out to a dark site on Saturday & Sunday evening to do some imaging & managed to capture the triangular conjunction of Venus, Jupiter & Mercury with the DSLR & with Saturn behind me seeing 4 planets in the night sky at the same time was quite an event. Also it was the first time I'd ever seen Mercury as I've got no hope of seeing it at home so viewing it through the scope was a bit of a treat.
Skywatcher ST80, 200P & 250P Celestron C6 & C80ED, NEQ6 Pro, EQ5. Standard Canon 1000D & Modded Canon 1000D, Philips SPC 880, QHY5L-II Planetary/Guide Camera.
tich

Re: Mercury and Venus are now visible in the evening sky

Postby SkyWatcher17 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:39 pm

I know this is an old post, and I usually dislike reawakening zombie threads, Mercury is setting at around 22:50 BST at the moment. It may be visible setting below Venus starting at around 21:10 BST. I haven't seen it myself yet though. Venus is unmissable.
Sky-Watcher Explorer 130M, EQ5 Deluxe, AZ5 Deluxe, SkyMax 102mm, SkyMax 127mm, Orion/SW ST80s (both modified), Vixen Porta II/Vixen SXG Hal-130, Orion 90mm StarMax , Celestron NexStar Evolution 9.25", TS Optics/GSO: SVD series 150mm, f/6.
SkyWatcher17

Return to Astro Alerts