More Messiering around

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

More Messiering around

Postby philip pugh » Mon May 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Sorry no photos (although donations for equipment will be gratefully accepted). Last night was quite disappointing with no new "pots" but I did a good sweep of eastern Scorpius and western Sagittarius Saturday night/Sunday morning. Many of the fainter objects are unremarkable in modest instruments but the globular cluster M22 was very prominent in my "bins" (15x70). M8 and M20 were also amazing. I'd seen M8 before but not properly using a Mak and LPR filter on a clear night. M62 was a pleasant surprise, showing central condensation and not just appearing as a faint fuzzy.

I wanted to wait longer to check for western Sagittarius but was very tired after a busy day on Saturday.
philip pugh

RE: More Messiering around

Postby mjpfc » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:56 am

I too was Messiering on Friday night into Saturday, after spending the earlier hours looking at 16 different galaxies in Ursa Majoris that I had not observed before.

Whe observing from my garden I have to wait for the objects low to the south to appear in the gap between houses to my due south. I got as far as a very faint M69 against a bright sky at 03:27, but the dawning light stopped me seeing even a rumour of M70, and therefore anything east of that.

M22 was, as usual, Magnificent. I also saw what I believe to be the ghoslty shape of Globular Cluster NGC 6453 to the right of M7, it should be easy at 10.7 mag, but it's very low and the sky was gradually getting lighter (Than the usual not-quite-dark of summer). So I will try again later in June when the sky is darker.

All in all, a great week and weekend of clear weather has allowed me out both in daylight and at night for sustained observing, makes a change for the rubbish of most of May and virtually all of April.

If the weather holds, I will be planning a night out in the darkness of Culver or Boniface downs to Messier-about some more.

Mick.

mjpfc

RE: More Messiering around

Postby philip pugh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:30 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: mjpfc

I too was Messiering on Friday night into Saturday, after spending the earlier hours looking at 16 different galaxies in Ursa Majoris that I had not observed before.

Whe observing from my garden I have to wait for the objects low to the south to appear in the gap between houses to my due south. I got as far as a very faint M69 against a bright sky at 03:27, but the dawning light stopped me seeing even a rumour of M70, and therefore anything east of that.

M22 was, as usual, Magnificent. I also saw what I believe to be the ghoslty shape of Globular Cluster NGC 6453 to the right of M7, it should be easy at 10.7 mag, but it's very low and the sky was gradually getting lighter (Than the usual not-quite-dark of summer). So I will try again later in June when the sky is darker.

All in all, a great week and weekend of clear weather has allowed me out both in daylight and at night for sustained observing, makes a change for the rubbish of most of May and virtually all of April.

If the weather holds, I will be planning a night out in the darkness of Culver or Boniface downs to Messier-about some more.

Mick.

[/quote]

Mick, what equipment do you use? I'm using 70mm bins and a 127mm Mak. Not ideal but not that different from what Messier was using himself (part of the idea). A lot of the objects are frankly just objects to cross off before you die (or, in my case, before the publisher loses patience).

I agree that M22 is a far better object than its declination or published magnitude would suggest.
philip pugh

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches