my first ever image

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

my first ever image

Postby andrewscomputers » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi everyone this is my first image with my new gpcam of the moon hopefully will get better in the future.
Andy
Attachments
m9m.jpg
m9m.jpg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
andrewscomputers

Re: my first ever image

Postby Aratus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:23 pm

I like it! A full moon can give great shots of the ray systems and Tycho's is shown well in that image. You can see some terracing inside Tycho, and that distinctive 'clear area' around it. The craters, Schiller and Shickard, near the limb are noteable

Which telescope did you use? I notice it is reversed so you probably had a mirror in there somewhere. Was this a single shot or stacked? You might have a few bits of dust in your optics too. Time to get out the camel hair brush and blower!

From a processing point of view, you could sharpen the image a little, and I would knock down the highlights a bit. Both would bring out more detail.
Just as an example of what could be done with the image . . .

That looks like a great camera you have there. Please show us more!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi Aratus I have only had the scope since November last year and is a Skywatcher 200p,thanks for modifying the image for me as not sure what program to use, as was a single shot and what is the best way to clean the primary mirror.
Thanks for your help.
Andrew
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:58 pm

I use Paintshop Pro which I picked up years ago. It is only natural to stick with what you know. There is a free program called 'Gimp' which many people use. There is also 'Photoshop', and others.
It is a matter of experimentation to see what works.
Sharpening a little is always a good idea. Reducing the bright parts can bring out detail which is washed out, although it is best to avoid saturated areas in the original. Adding a bit of simple contrast can do wonders. Processing program often have complicated contrast routines which can work very well.

If you are doing single shots try doing a dozen of them (or more) and pick the best.

The little dust devils, hairs and other bits and pieces will only show up on the CCD surface and intermediate surfaces like barlow lenses. Anything on the mirror will not be seen on a photo. In fact it is best to leave the mirror well alone even if it has a few bits of dust on it. It will not make any difference to the image. You don't want to risk scratching it, or contaminating it. However, anything on a barlow or eyepiece will show up. There are various brushes and wipes for those. Anything on the CCD surface will show up too. This requires a very soft brush. Hold the camera pointing downwards and gently brush the surface. Any dust particles hopefully will be dislodged and fall away. Don't wipe a CCD surface, or touch it with anything else. Try to protect the CCD surface from dust in the first place. For instance if uncovered, turn it upside down.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi thanks for all your help I did modify my other moon image that I put on with the software that came with the camera and will get some cleaning products for my lenses so I can clean the dust.
Many Thanks
Andrew
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:19 pm

I use one of these for most telescope cleaning jobs. It needs no solvent.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/celestron-lens-pen.html

I also have a pack of lens tissues and a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol. (Astronomical purposes only of course! ;) ) I only use them if the pen doesn't work.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi thanks for that I will order as it is quite reasonable priced.
Andy
andrewscomputers

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches