My first picture of sun

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

My first picture of sun

Postby andrewscomputers » Thu May 05, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi all this is my first picture of the sun through my telescope from 4th may in the garden.Hope you enjoy.
Andy
Attachments
modified 2sun.png
sun
modified 2sun.png (50.53 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
andrewscomputers

Re: My first picture of sun

Postby Aratus » Thu May 05, 2016 3:43 pm

Well done for getting a photo of the sun. The sharp limb suggests the image is in focus, but I'm not sure what the dark spot is. There isn't a big spot like that on the sun at the moment, so it is probably something on your optics. :( The much smaller spots on the far left are probably genuine solar features. (I would guess the group designated AR2541) There is a biggish spot just appeared today on the left hand limb of the sun, and it might be worth trying to getting photo of that - especially since the weather has now improved.

I look forward to seeing your next photo.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Thu May 05, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi Aratus thanks for the reply and advice and will another go at the sun,have cleaned the filter with my pen so hopefully remove the dust marks.
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby andrewscomputers » Thu May 05, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi I have processed another image of the sun from the 4th may on the limb,but it is not as good as the other image.
Andy
Attachments
su7modi.jpg
su7modi.jpg (154.34 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
andrewscomputers

Postby andrewscomputers » Thu May 05, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi I had bit of a play around :lol:
Attachments
modified 3sun.png
modified 3sun.png (74.31 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
andrewscomputers

My first picture of sun

Postby Aratus » Thu May 05, 2016 11:25 pm

andrewscomputers wrote:Hi I have processed another image of the sun from the 4th may on the limb,but it is not as good as the other image.
Andy

Its a shame because the spot on that photo is the new spot which I mentioned earlier! It is called AR2542, and is the same spot that I have photographed previously coming back around the limb for a second appearance!

Try to get that one again, but work on the focusing. Getting a sharp limb is often the best place to start. Since you are taking single shots you might have to take 20 or more to eventually get a one with a sharp focus. At some point you might want to consider taking a video file of hundreds of frames and then stacking the best.

Many people do 'colourise' their sun pictures. I've tended to avoid that myself, but I admit they look impressive. :)
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Thu May 05, 2016 11:45 pm

Hi Aratus thanks for the reply I will try again but was quite hard as the laptop screen was too bright with sun,so I wil try to make my screen darker by covering so I can get better focus of the limb again.I am quite pleased with the colour image as it shows of the flares at the edge.
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Fri May 06, 2016 9:28 am

What I used to do is put the laptop in a cardboard box big enough to get my head in (no comments! :) ) I then fixed a thick blanket over the top. Then by putting my head in the box, under the blanket, it was dark enough to see the screen. I then put the box on a table next to the telescope and was able to change the focus blindly while under the blanket. Theoretically at least. What often happened was that I couldn't find the focussing knob, or I ended up knocking the telescope! It worked often enough to get some decent images though. Having a remote motorised focuser will help. (It also got pretty hot under there.)
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Mon May 16, 2016 9:59 pm

I've been getting my "Mak" on the Sun a bit more this year.

Andrew, your first Sun photo is a million times better than my first attempt.

I'm hoping to get some webcam close-ups of the Sun but haven't done any this year.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby andrewscomputers » Wed May 18, 2016 12:20 am

Hi thanks for the reply I hope to get my shots of the sun as I was out last night for a few hours taking some more images of the planets.
Andy
andrewscomputers

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches