Nearly there!!

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Nearly there!!

Postby jsc248 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi Gang,

With t6he completion of the testing on the mirror segments for the James Webb Telescope it would seem that the telescope is getting ever closer to launch date. To read the story and see the images go here http://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/round-of-testing-completed-on-webb-telescope-flight-mirrors I don't know whether I am glad to see this telescope launched. I have always been a faithful admirer and follower of all things Hubble. It will be a shame the day they retire the HST. What do you all think? Do we need a newer improved space telescope? The images from JWST will be superior to Hubble but I, for one, will miss those WOW shots from Hubble. Let me know your views please!

John
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Re: Nearly there!!

Postby voyager » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:38 am

I don't expect Hubble to see retirement - like a Merseyrail Pacer or Northern Rail Dogbox, they are going to keep using it until the wheels fall off. :-) Whilst there is some overlap in wavelength coverage, Hubble will still hold its own in the visible and UV, which makes it complementary to JWST. In other words, both working together will kick major ass!
voyager

Return to General