Need to start on Minor Planets next

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Need to start on Minor Planets next

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:30 pm

I've just realised that in the last 15 months I have seen all the planets. Uranus in November 2015, Mars and Jupiter in Spring 2016, Mercury as it transited the Sun in early May, Saturn in June, Venus is very visible in the evening sky at the moment, and I saw Neptune through the scope last week. And just to be sure I looked out of the window and had a look at planet Earth

Vesta's at opposition this week, so worth checking out if the weather clears.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Re: Need to start on Minor Planets next

Postby Aratus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:22 am

At magnitude 6 it shines pretty brightly through binoculars, which is a good way to start but there are a few stars of similar brightness nearby at the moment to confuse us!, Photographing the area, or sketching it, and comparing it with the same view a day or 2 later will show its movement. If you photograph through a telescope even a few hours will reveal it. It is approaching Kappa Geminorum at the moment, and at the end of the month that will be a good way of finding it.
I took this at the beginning of this month on subsequent days. I used the Canon through the telescope.

You don't actually need a telescope to record a bright asteroid. A few years back I used an ordinary camera and photographed Vesta's movement over a few weeks.

Ceres is in Pisces at the moment, but not as bright.

I might join you on that asteroid hunt! :!:
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches