Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Postby cottond » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:11 am

Hello everyone. I am from Liverpool and I am returning to astronomy after many years of absence. I can't say I have a specific area of interest at the moment but I have never managed to see the rings of Saturn and those galaxies look pretty cool too! I have already posted a silly question and will probably continue as I started.
Dave
cottond

Re: New member

Postby Dad and Lad » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:06 am

hi im in macclesfield not far from you saturn is quite close to the moon this week and the angle for the rings is great i used the Interactive Planetarium in here to locate it and got it in a matter of mins.

good luck.
Dad and Lad

Postby cottond » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:32 am

Hello Dad and Lad.
Thanks for letting me know about the interactive planetarium. I will use that. What set up are you using and how old is Lad? My grandson is 6 but he can't see any thing with the scope. He got quite animated with the binoculars once until I realized he was looking at the 'chippy' down the road away.
Dave
cottond

Postby Dad and Lad » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:23 am

hi,
we got a sky watcher scope off the net 650mm x 130mm and was looking at saturn with a 4mm lens.
the lad was 9 in nov and is now starting to really enjoy himself looking at the moon mainly (i think he's looking for the man that lives there still) but with the info we've been finding on here started expanding out now onto other things, he's also got a small set of bino's he uses from his bedroom when he dosnt fancy the cold.

hope you and your grandson get a few clear nights and can get some good viewing while theres plenty to see.

Andy
Dad and Lad

Postby cottond » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks Andy.
I have a granddaughter who is just coming up to 12 which would be a great age but she has no interest outside of what her mates say. I might have to work on her mates to get through to her!
Good luck with your lad anyway.
Dave
cottond

Return to Introductions