new scope

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

new scope

Postby gashead » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:52 am

Hi all, Its been awhile since my last scope so hoping for some advice. I'm about average in knowledge on this great subject, with that in mind can you please advise which scopes I should be looking at. Budget is around £600 more or less. I don't think I want a dob. I prefer looking at planets, moon, Orion nebulae, you know the popular sites. Ive also favoured getting into astrophotography as I am a photographer. I did have the Meade etx 127, but sold it reluctantly. Looking for something else now. The price of £600 is flexable. Please help.
gashead

Re: new scope

Postby Aratus » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:14 pm

Hello

I think there are plenty of telescopes to choose from.

Are you looking for something with an aperture greater than your previous 5" ?
Will you be wanting a computerised mount?
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby gashead » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:36 am

Hi, I was thinking around that aperture? Computerised? probably but not definite. The Meade I had was 10 years ago, so I wondered how good Meade are now? Celestron has taken my eye. I hear skywatcher are good?. Also should I go for a refractor or????????? Many thanks for the help.
gashead

Postby Aratus » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:35 pm

From what I gather Meade, Celestron and Skywatcher are all good makes. If I was getting a new telescope now I wouldn't pumb for just one manufacturer. I would look at what they all had to offer and price. Call me a cynic, but if someone generally suggests one of these brands over the others, I wonder if either they work for them, or they are trying to justify their own choice. :D

Computerised mounts seem to be pretty standard now, and although I know my way around the sky pretty well, I'm always grateful for the extra observing time that a well aligned 'goto' gives me with dim objects.

I'm very happy with my SCT but a refractor has many advantages. They stay in alignment, and give a nice wide field for photographic work of deep sky objects. If you go for a refractor look out for good high quality lenses. That does make them pricey though. Lens or mirror, get as large an aperture as you can afford. I always say that if you take the time to get to know how to use a telescope properly it won't disappoint.

However, I'm sure there are others here with other ways of looking at this tricky problem.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby dave.b » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:25 am

The trickyness is due to the budget landing right between grades of kit. The astrophotography requirement would indicate an equatorial mount. The budget limits the choice to something like a Skywatcher EQ3 GOTO with a 5" Mak or 6" Newt. But that mount is weak for photography and it offers no where to go growth-wise other than to replace it.

If you ditch long exposure photography, then alt-az GOTO offers a lower cost of entry, but again suffers from the lack of growth options.

If you want to invest in a half decent mount from the get go, look at nothing less than the EQ5 GOTO or the AVX, but then your budget will need to at least £800.

Dave B.
dave.b

Return to Equipment Advice