New Telescope Advice Please

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

New Telescope Advice Please

Postby malcpring » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:46 am

I am considering buying my first telescope and would apreciate some advice. I have looked to the heavens for years with my eyes on a clear night and the sense of wonderment never ceases.
This is why I have decided to take the plunge and buy a telescope for use in my back garden.
There is an unbelievable array to choose from and reading about all the different types, sizes, mounts, lenses etc has sent my brain into meltdown.
I have looked at the Orion SkyQuest XT8 IntelliScope and some of the online reviews say that it is very good if a little bulky. It is within my price range, but then there is the question of different lenses, filters etc. Also it would be nice to do some astro imaging at some point. In order to do that you need a motor drive??????
Are there any other telescopes out there motor driven or not that could fit the bill. To begin with I just want to do the usual Moon, Stars, Nebulas, etc, but don't want something too basic so that I am having to upgrade it after a few months.
I have been doing some research and apeture seems to be the most important thing. The bigger the mirror/lens the better the lightgrasp and therefore the deeper into space you can observe.
Thanks for any advice

Macolm
malcpring

RE: New Telescope Advice Please

Postby brianb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:20 pm

Yeah, that or the Skywatcher 8" dobsonian would make a great starter scope. After a while you could buy a decent equatorial mount (at least an HEQ5, the EQ6 would be better) and attempt imaging - though such a large (well, medium sized) scope is a bit ambitious for a beginner to deep sky object imaging, you really do need the aperture for visual work. And an 8" f/6 scope should be capable of making killer images of the Moon & planets when conditions are good.

brianb

Postby philip pugh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:00 pm

You only need to use motor drives if you are doing long exposure deep sky photography. There's plenty you can do with just a compact digital camera and/or a webcam or DSLR.

I'd start off with binoculars. You may still buy a medium or large telescope later but you'll continue to use the bins for the rest of your life. OK, I own 2 beginner 'scopes and I don't use them any more but had 00s if not 000s of hours enjoyment before they got sidelined.

You can also snap objects through binoculars, too, but it needs a little patience.
philip pugh

Postby malcpring » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks guys for the info.
malcpring

Return to Equipment Advice