new telescope

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

new telescope

Postby gturfrey » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased by first scope 2nd hand a skywatcher 1145pm. Now I am rather clueless and the instructions are typical chinese so mean nothing to me and they also apply to more than 1 model.

Im not convinved that the mount dials are setup correctly, in the correct positions.

So currently doing the point and shoot method!

Although I'm yet to see anything but dots!

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
gturfrey

RE: new telescope

Postby uea74 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Don't worry about the clueless bit, I am as well. It helps.

I would gather that the scope is on a mount of some sort. Possibly EQ2 or even EQ3-2. Any chance of identifing it. Assuming it is equitorial then there are guides around that people will hopefully point you to. Know of a couple but it helps to know what the thing is. I assume no motors.

Now the bad news. All the stars are dots, you are not going to see a disk.

For a disk you want to locate a planet. Think that Saturn is around still, may be wrong, and Jupiter is up there but best time is about 2:00AM. Unsociable things are planets.

Slight bad news about planets is they are small disks. Although Jupiter is in my opinion best seen small but sharp, so pushing the magnification up may well not help. Had good results at 60-70 so you should manage that easily.

Do you have some idea of a constellation or two, three or four would be better?

You will be able to pick out some of the brighter DSO's, but it will be a selection process of the brightest. Also as many are far, far away they will be both dim and almost a point. The 2 exceptions are Orion and Andromeda. You cannot miss Orion, when it arrives above the horizon in a month or two. The nebula in it is a good object, well 4 I think.

Next, has the scope got a finder? If yes have you aligned it?

Have a look at [url=http://www.skywatchertelescope.net]www.skywatchertelescope.net[/url] and see if they have a manual in better English to download.

What eyepieces have you?
Can you collimate it?

For what to look at: A 114 isn't big so you are not going to challange Hubble. Planets will show up to an extent. Double stars will be another to give reasonable results, best to collect the coloured doubles. Some of the bigger+brighter DSO's, clusters - open and globular.

That lot of questions etc should keep you busy, or put you off completely.
uea74

Postby gturfrey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 am

Hi,

I believe it as an EQ-2 and it does have an RA motor drive.

The planets are indeed unsociable, last few nights Jupiter has been up high, behind the clouds though!

Just ordered a planisphere, up until now I have been using google skymaps on my GPS mobile.

The scope has a red dot finder which has been calibrated and I can find targets easily with it.

Eyepieces are the standard that came with it, Super 10, 25, x2 barlow.

I think it can be collimated been a newtonian but dont actually have a collimator for it.

Its put me off completely! :) nah only kidding. Any advice on better lenses or anything I can do to improve the experience would
be appreciated though!
gturfrey

Postby uea74 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:16 pm

I am useless with equitorial mounts, the one you have is in some ways simple as it really cannot do a great deal. My view being less setup for you.

About all I suspect that you can do is to set the mount up level.
Then set the RA to your latitude, somewhere between 51 and 56 if in England.
London is 51.5, Camb 52, Birm 53, NewCastle 55.
Point the scope North, use a compass or the pole star. I don't think that the EQ2 can take a polar scope?

And I hate to say it but that is about it.

You will have to locate objects yourself, and once located the RA motor will track the object. The tracking will not be perfect but it will keep whatever in the field of view for a reasonable time.

The RA and Dec values are used to locate objects from their RA and Dec and your position. Not going to try explaining this as I am not very good at it and confuse myself. Best is to get a good book and then learn where things are in the various constellations.

You will need at some time to collimate it. I think that if you find a site called astro-baby.co.uk she may have a guide to collimating it. She also has guides to using and setting up an equitorial mount.

Eyepieces: From memory the scope is 500mm focal length. Usually people post that the 10mm supplied is poor and that the 25 is acceptable. The barlow may be very poor - slight bias as I don't like barlows.

The 10mm will be giving 50x mag, barely enough to see Jupiter, and if poor and if you use the barlow I guess a very poor final image.

Suggest that you have a look at SCS Astro and Astronomica and see what "budget" lens they have. One has the GSO range of plossl's although not great should out perform the 10mm supplied.

Not sure what either retailer does, would suggest something like an 8mm and a 6mm for magnifications of 62x and 81x. I would have preferred a 20mm to the 25mm.

You "should" be able to drop a 5mm in and get 100x. Possible problem is that the scope is f/5 and considered fast. Fast scopes need a better eyepiece and these cost money. A nice TV Plossl is ~£70-75 and may be more then you would consider. Although if you moved to a bigger scope it would serve you well. You choice/money. The sensible max for the scope is a 3mm giving 160X, but I think you would rarely get benefit out of a 3mm.

Astronomica do a range of ED eyepieces at £50, look very nice. Again more then the GSO plossl's but should be significantly better.
uea74

Postby gturfrey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Im confused now, just looked at the label on my scope because your questions got me curious. I think I may have given you the wrong model, I was definately sold a "1145pm" but its specs dont match!

It says Diameter 130mm
Focal length 650mm

Does this change anything?
gturfrey

Postby gturfrey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Yup I appear to have this one!

http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/telescopes/sky-watcher/newtonianreflectors/explorer130pm.html

Told you I was clueless!
gturfrey

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question