Newbie from up North

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Newbie from up North

Postby timkent » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:26 pm

Hello from Northumbria

I've always been interested in the stars being brought up miles from civilization in rural Suffolk, they have always been there!

It's only since my wife has been ill and we have taken early retirement that I've had the time to pursue this one of my hobbies.

I recently bought a Konus 130 motor-max and turning it to the heavens found out there is a lot more up there than I could see with the bins.

The area I seem to have concentrated on most is around Orion with all that falls in that vacinity and of course the moon, of which I have managed many wonderful pictures with a Meade LPI purchased second hand, despite still learning how to use it to its full advantage! Its a wonderful tool to sit down on the laptop with and find where everything is in the galaxy and beyond.

Regards.....Tim
timkent

RE: Newbie from up North

Postby gammalog » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:16 pm

Hi Tim, and a warm welcome to the Forum, from your roots, down here in Suffolk.

I live in a rural area, in a village without street lights. Far enough from the County Town to avoid the light pollution, but near enough for convenience.

I too use an LPI for the Moon and Planets, and it works well.
gammalog

Postby big dipper » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:23 pm

Welcome aboard Tim. Sorry to hear about your wife. Hopefully the Northumbrian air will have a beneficial effect on her.

Sounds like you should have some decent skies in your location. Hope you get many chances to pursue this nutty hobby of ours & welcome to the Sky @ Night forums.
big dipper

Postby qu54856bo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:53 am

Welcome Tim

You say you were brought up miles from civilisation in Suffolk but Norwich is only 20 miles from the Suffolk border so you were never far from civilisation!!

I am a newbie too and and don't have a scope yet but enjoying the sky with some 20x50 bins. Orion is certainly a big draw to the uninitiated. Have ventured towards the Pleiades (wow!) and also Saturn and the Beehive (turn left at Orion!).

Best wishes and hope your wife's health improves.

Auray
(from Norwich in case you hadn't guessed!)
qu54856bo

Postby arrakis338 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:40 pm

How is the Konus 130?
arrakis338

Postby mrkrigdon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:36 am

Hi Tim' Welcome to the forum.Mark
mrkrigdon

Postby jsc248 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:13 pm

Hi Tim,
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard.
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Return to Introductions