Newbie on the loose.

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Newbie on the loose.

Postby Fenchur » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi all, I am new to astronomy and been ready a couple of books to start my interest in the hobby off. I am looking for a starter telescope that would enable me to see planets and stars for under 400 pounds. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I live in the countryside with small amount of light pollution. Thanks in advanced
Fenchur

Re: Newbie on the loose.

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Before you rush in to buying a telescope - I'd recommend seeing if you have a local astronomical society that you can go along to an observing night.
For your budget there are quite a few options for telescopes - so it depends on your circumstances and interests and if you can get a chance to try other people's scopes then you might find yourself drawn to one type or another.
Welcome anyway, and if you have any further questions, ask away!
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Re: Newbie on the loose.

Postby Aratus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:09 pm

One of your main choices is buying a small telescope with a computerised mount, or get a much bigger telescope without one. Finding the moon and planets is easy, and doesn't require a computerised mount, but I'll be the first to say that looking for objects invisible to the eye requires a lot of patience. It is also nice to have a motorised mount that follows an object once you've found it, but not essential.

To give an extreme example, for £400 you could get a big 10" Dobsonian reflector, but it will be up to you to find the objects and keep them in view. You could also get a 4" Cassegrain which, once you have aligned it, will automatically find any object you ask it to. There are a range of telescopes in between.
As Gfamily2 suggests, you might like to ask your local astronomical society. You can then try them out before you decide.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Equipment Advice