Newbie!

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Newbie!

Postby John.Scales.139807 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi all,
I'm John Scales and I'm from Banbury in Oxfordshire. Only about 20 minutes from Rollright Stones, our local Dark Sky spot. I received a Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ MD telescope for Christmas from my wife (my first since I was 14!). Had it only a month and the latitude adjustment screw would not take any weight! Sent it back and have received a new one. Can I ask all you old hands what you think is a good camera for astrophotography? I currently have a Canon EOS 1100D and I am unable to keep the mirror locked up, so I can't reduce camera wobble. I use live view and a remote shutter release switch but the mirror still causes wobble.
Cheers!

John.
John.Scales.139807

Re: Newbie!

Postby dave.b » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:21 pm

Hello John, welcome to the forum!

As a general statement, the mirror in a DSLR camera is locked up in live view mode. (At least that's my understanding.) Try it when not in live view mode to hear and possibly see the difference.

One reasob for suggestion this is that auto focus works differently in love view mode. In LV mode the camera can only use the image density for AF, whereas when not in LV mode it can use the mirror to diffract the image and thereby sense when it's in or out of focus.

In my 600D custom function 8 controls the mirror lock up function. But it is only applicable when not in LV mode.
dave.b

Postby John.Scales.139807 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I've tried both eyepiece and live view shooting and still get camera wobble. From looking through instructions and on the Internet I can't seem to find a mirror lock up function. I'll try looking under function 8, thank you. But it may be an excuse for a new camera! :-)
John.Scales.139807

Postby dave.b » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Your other problem will be the flimsy mount and tripod. But it should be OK for fast shutter work on the moon.
dave.b

Postby dave.b » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:43 pm

I've now had a quick look at what the internet has to say about this. It seems the 1100d does not have a custom function to enable mirror lock up. But my suggestion that LV works with the mirror locked up seems to be vindicated. :-)

Whilst I don't think this will directly fix your problem, have a look at the Magic Lantern (magiclantern.fm) software extensions for the 1100d camera.

Dave B.
Last edited by dave.b on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave.b

Postby John.Scales.139807 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Excellent, thank you Dave. You've been very helpful to someone who's still a little bit wet behind the ears! I appreciate it. I'll give LV a try next time we have clear skies.
John.Scales.139807

Return to Introductions