Nikon D50 for astro photography?

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Nikon D50 for astro photography?

Postby bmzjastro » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:20 am

[:)]Help, i am a disabeled astronomer, limited budget who would love to do deepsky photograaphy, i have an ed80pro, EQ5, and now a Nikon D50 dslr, could anyone tell me if this camera is good enogh to take some faily good deep sky pictures? as i couldnt afford the Canon eveyone seems to use, ive only tried it once on a moolit night, but have had big problems trying to focus, would be gratefull for any advice, many thanks
bmzjastro

RE: Nikon D50 for astro photography?

Postby Chanctonbury » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:23 pm

Hi,

The D50 will be fine for this purpose but you are right, focussing any DSLR through a telescope is a real nightmare. However, help is at hand! I use a program called rather imaginatively 'DSLRFocus' which is optimised for the Canon DSLR range but will also work well with the Nikon range too. This will greatly assist focus provided you are able to have a laptop PC out with you when you are imaging. As well as focus, it will also allow multiple exposures to be taken automatically - a very good and versatile piece of software which does exactly what it says it will do. Please visit this site for more information:-

[url=http://www.dslrfocus.com/]http://www.dslrfocus.com/[/url]

You will almost certainly require a connection lead for long (over 30 second) exposures but data on this should be available on the web-site.

Good luck.
Chanctonbury

RE: Nikon D50 for astro photography?

Postby big binoculars » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:46 pm

hi,have you tried the S.P.A. website.
go to the forums there are some good guys, on there with a wealth
of information.i,m sure they'll help you out as well.!!
cheers,andy

www.popastro.com
big binoculars

Return to Equipment Advice