No more comets?

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

No more comets?

Postby jsc248 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi gang,
This silliness over whether Pluto is a planet or Kuiper Belt Object is beginning to get to me I think! If, in their infinate wisdom, the IAU drop Pluto as our ninth planet (madness if you ask me!!!) then is the next step the comets? As we all know comets originate from the Oort cloud at the edge of the solar system, but they do not stay there. A gravitational force of some kind sends them inwards to the middle of the solar system. The word comet means "wandering star" and as we all know that comets are not stars, do they then get relegated to Oort Cloud Objects and lose the name "comets".
Lets leave the names of the solar system exactly how they are and get back to studying it instead of trying to rename it!
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: No more comets?

Postby timkent » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:36 pm

jsc248

I do hope astronomy is not to be the next victim of the PC brigade.

Like you I prefer things the way they are.

Regards....Tim
timkent

Postby les » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:50 pm

HI all,
I'll stick my head over the parapit with a argument someone else made in an other post that is; if Pluto was a new discovory no way would it be classed as a planet.Im not demeaning Pluto, but if we fixed the criteria for planetary status at say Mercury then we would have a tidy SOLAR System rather than a of messy one.
Regards Les.
les

Postby paul j » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:56 am

while on the subject of Comets, do we have any heading in our view this year? now that i've got a decent scope i want to try and imagine one.

paul j

Postby jsc248 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:30 am

Hi Paulj,
There are the periodical comets that pass our way but none are very bright and you will need a guide to find them. The bright comets are unpredictable so I'm afraid it's a case of fingers crossed. It is about time we had another bright one though, Hale-Bopp seems like such a long time ago now!
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby asterixhb » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:26 am

Morning all,
I read recently that there might be a relatively bright one due around April of this year, but unfortunately I can't remember any details at all or even where I read this. Might have been on this forum, I will try to find it later. I assume it was one of the regular ones and would probably not be that spectacular as John (JSC248) rightly points out that the outstanding ones tend to be unexpected interlopers.
asterixhb

Postby conor mcdonald » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:40 pm

[font=arial][b][color=#ff0000]MORNING COMET:[/color][/b][size=2] A new comet is emerging in the morning sky: [url=http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Ephemerides/Comets/2006A1.html][u][color=#0000ff]Comet Pojmanski[/color][/u][/url] has been brightening since its discovery in January and can now be found just east of Venus before sunrise: [url=http://www.spaceweather.com/images2006/27feb06/skymap_north.gif][u][color=#0000ff]sky map[/color][/u][/url]. It looks like a slightly fuzzy blue star of magnitude 5; binoculars reveal a small tail. A good morning to look is Monday, Feb. 27th, when the comet glides by the double star [url=http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/%7Ekaler/sow/algedi.html][u][color=#0000ff]Algedi[/color][/u][/url][/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=2]There is also another one late march[/size][/font]
conor mcdonald

Postby jsc248 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:13 pm

Thanks for the info Conor, I'll have a look for this one!
John jsc248.
jsc248

Postby asterixhb » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:13 pm

John,
I admire your naive optimism whereby you boldly say "I'll have a look for this one". Have you got some kind of secret method for cloud dispersal. I think the only way I will get to see it is on the PC after I've downloaded the latest comet info onto the planetarium programme.[image]http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/micons/m15.gif[/image]

Kev G
asterixhb

Postby jsc248 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:30 pm

It's not naivety Kev, the comet won't be there for just one day! I usually get to see what I'm looking for, eventually. Patience is the word for astronomers and, as you well know, with the weather we have in this country we need plenty of it.
John.
jsc248

Return to General