Noctilucent Clouds

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Noctilucent Clouds

Postby Aratus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:49 am

While taking a short break on Holy Island near the Scottish border I went out a little before local midnight to see the 'white night', when to my delight the faint tendrils of blue white clouds began to appear. Over the course of 20 minutes they intensified and soon I had the whole northern horizon glowing with noctilucent clouds.
This is a panorama of the event. Over time the normally horizonal clouds revealed vertical streaks and strange bending and shadowing . I have seen these clouds once before some years ago, but never this extensive. I've resisted the temptation to brighten the image. This is as I saw them.

:Edited: 'Photobucket' has just blackmailed all its free users to pay up or ruin their forum post images.
I don't give in to blackmail - but it means having to change all my posts to another host. http://www.postimage.org

Noctilucent clouds are normally invisible clouds of ice crystals 50 miles high in the atmosphere. They are only visibile (if they are there) when illuminated by the sun when the sun is below the horizon and the lower atmosphere is in the shadow of the earth. That means only in summer, for a few hours around local midnight, and in high latitudes, but below the arctic circle.
Last edited by Aratus on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Noctilucent Clouds

Postby Aratus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Here is a close up of the noctilucent clouds around the star, Capella. There are all kinds of ripples and streaks in there.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:31 pm

HI Aratus I like the clouds,I keep looking in Basildon every night,but have not seen any yet.They look like waves in the sea.
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:50 pm

I've looked every clear summer night for 15 years and never seen them - until 1st July. I think I was very lucky!
People have seen them much further south than Lincolnshire, or Basildon - so I think we should keep on looking.

I think your description is very good. I did think that being under water and looking up at the surface might be quite similar. In a sense the atmosphere is a bit like an ocean of air. . .
Aratus

Postby Aratus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 am

The 'Sky at Night' magazine seems to have anticipated my good luck, and has an excellent article on noctilucent clouds in its July issue.

I'm still looking for more of these, but I've not seen them again. :(
Aratus

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches