Non-computerised mount for Celestron

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Non-computerised mount for Celestron

Postby katiewright » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi all,
I have a Celestron Nexstar 127slt and I love it, but I'd like to get a non computerised mount for it, preferably alt-azimuth. It's a long story as to the reasons behind this decision and I suspect I'd be better saving up and just getting a new scope BUT that will take me many years so....... any advice much appreciated. Just looking for something reasonable that will hold the telescope. It has a dovetail attachment on the scope.

Thanks
(sorry if this is the silliest question yet)
katiewright

Re: Non-computerised mount for Celestron

Postby Aratus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:58 pm

A little look at my Celestron catalogue reveals that they do sell a manual heavy duty alt-azimuth mount. The product code is C93607. They retail for about £86. I notice a few on ebay for about £10 less.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby katiewright » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks
:)
katiewright

Postby Aratus » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:05 pm

Glad to help. In the 'old days' we didn't have gotos anyway. With a good finder and a star chart it forces you to learn your way around the sky. If you persevere with it, it may be a blessing in disguise. (Having said that, I do like the extra time observing that a 'goto' saves you. :) )
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question