Not Just the 'Apple Core' (M27)

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Not Just the 'Apple Core' (M27)

Postby Aratus » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 pm

On 12th September, the sky was particularly clear with none of that haze which has been hanging around for so long. I spent a few hours looking at various targets, which included M27 or sometimes known as the Dumbbell Nebula. It is a large looking planetary nebula, which is a cloud of gas blown off by a central star. M27 tends to have the appearence of an 'apple core', which is the brighter dust streaming away from the star in 2 fans of debris. In most telescopes that is all that can be seen. These 'rays' have a blue/green and red appearence when photographed. More difficult is the more spherical blue gas struture. Since the conditions were good, I took 13 x 30sec exposures, and this is what I got.
I seem to have got what I wanted. No special filters were used in this image.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Not Just the 'Apple Core' (M27)

Postby Graeme1858 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:33 pm

That's a lovely image!

I saw M27 last week for the first time but it was just a faint grey blur then.

Regards

Graeme

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Great shot!

I saw the "apple core" the day my 127mm Mak got delivered. I've never tried to photograph it, as I don't have a tracking mount. On the other hand, I can get loads of targets with my DSLR alone.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby Aratus » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:12 pm

M27 is relatively faint, and so normally the eye won't detect any colour, hence the grey look to it. However, it does handle magnification quite well, so using a barlow and a dark adapted eye should reveal the 'apple core'. In a larger telescope it does takes on a greenish tinge, and some brightness variation can be seen. It is by far the best planetary nebula, at least in the northern sky.

Planetary Nebulas are one of my favourite kinds of deep sky object. M57 - the Ring Nebula in Lyra is great fun to look at. The Blue Snowball, (NGC 7662) in Andromeda looks blue in an 8" telescope at least. Both of these are in the evening sky now.

M27 can be photographed using a zoom lens on a DLSR, albeit it comes out rather small. It shows an interesting bit of extra colour in the sky photo.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi Aratus I like the apple core,which camera did you use?
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:54 pm

andrewscomputers wrote:Hi Aratus I like the apple core,which camera did you use?
Andy

I should have said. :oops: I used the Canon. The EOS backyard software is much simpler to use, but the camera is not so good with red nebula light. The built-in filter doesn't let so much through. I would actually have got a better image with the ZWO. I ought to use the ZWO more often and get used to the software, but I hate wasting time when cloud can come over at any moment!
Aratus

Postby Graeme1858 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:24 am

That's interesting. I made the assumption that you used the ZWO! And it's quite encouraging too if you can capture images like that with an unmodified DSLR.

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches