Not quite a new discovery!!

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Not quite a new discovery!!

Postby jsc248 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:03 pm

Hi Gang,
I was out observing the other night and had the telescope set up with a medium power eyepice in and was happily drawing Saturn on the pad. All of a sudden a bright orange light appeared from nowhere. At first I wondered what was going on, until I looked away from the telescope to discover that an aeroplane had crossed the field of view and it must have ben the tail light I had seen. So much for new discoveries!
I have been observing now for nearly 30 years and it's the first time I've had that happen. Anyone else seen anything simliar?
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: Not quite a new discovery!!

Postby les » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:36 pm

HI,
I'v never seen aircraft,but have had occasional satellite flashing passed.[:o]
les

Postby keithmorris » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:13 pm

Hi jsc248. Yeh I have had this loads of times, living near 2 USAF bases in Suffolk England, it's not surprising! The first time it happened was on a warm si=ummers night, I thought it was a firefly at first! But what really knocked my socks off one night was an iridium flare and I was at medium magnification at the time. It was several minutes before I could see properly again!
keithmorris

Postby petrolight » Fri May 12, 2006 5:53 pm

Hi Jsc248,
Had an aeroplane cross my FOV once when observing the sun through my
PST.But theres a flock of geese fly over every night an I often see them
through the scope!
petrolight

Postby drvibe » Mon May 15, 2006 10:16 pm

I've caught things (short flashes, etc) on AVI when imaging planets but have never been able to identify what they were. Aliens I suppose.......bl##dy things, no consideration.

Colin
drvibe

Postby wulfric » Tue May 16, 2006 9:40 am

I often get aircraft crossing my view - we live not far from Stansted and unfortunately we are on the landing approach. It is very frustrating.

I also get the odd satellite zipping across as well.
wulfric

Postby parity » Tue May 16, 2006 10:30 am

Aircraft are a pain here too, my wife and I counted nine planes in various parts of the sky a few weeks ago,I'm amazed they don't bump into each other more often, but the weirdest thing I have seen through the scope looked like a big blurry fridge flying past, it turned out to be the ISS!
Mac
parity

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches