Nuby

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Nuby

Postby Jon O » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:59 am

Hello!

My name is Jon,

I've always had an interest in all things skyward, but i want to begin to get into astronomy in a bit more depth, as opposed to just watching the odd satellite or flare every now and then!

I guess this is the best place to come for the undoubted wealth of collective knowledge of all seasoned members of this forum

Quick bit about myself, recently separated father of 1,work as a surface finish technician(2) in the aviation industry, currently live in the fens quite close to a pretty good dark sky sight(milky way class i think)

Has anyone got any good advice to me start off?

I don't actually own my own telescope, whats peoples thoughts on a good starter (apologies if this is one of the most common repeated questions, i haven't had time to look through any other posts yet!)

Any way i hope to become a least a semi competent amateur astronomer , with a little help from this forum!

Jon O
Jon O

Re: Nuby

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi Jon
You're lucky to be close to a dark sky site, so it sounds like you'll want one that you can easily transport (so not a 20" Dobsonian to start with anyway).

My absolute first advice would be to find yourself a local astronomy society
Check out your county here
http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Counties.aspx
There'll be plenty of advice available, and if they have observing evenings, there'll be a chance to see a range of scopes and try them out.

The classic advice is to get yourself a pair of binoculars (10x50 is comfortable to use, bigger than that and you'll want a tripod) and a planisphere - to help you find your way around the sky.
There are apps for phones that help with the night sky, but the glare of your phone can spoil your night vision.

Best of luck, and come back to us if you have any questions.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Jon O » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:57 pm

Thanks for the reply and advice :)
Jon O

Postby Aratus » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Hello Jon

As Gfamily2 says, an astronomical society is a good place to start. All I would say is that people sometimes justify their own choice, rather than give unbiased opinions! You need to watch out for that. A lot can be gained just looking as what there is on offer in a good telescope shop or web site. If there is jargon or something you don't understand you can post a question on here.
It might be considered a bit old fashioned, but buying book which goes through each constellation in turn, detailing what can be seen is quite useful and a book you will always be able to refer to. Just going out and identifying the constellations can be quite rewarding.

It is certainly true that binoculars can be more useful than a small telescope. Having said that even small telescopes can be a lot of fun, and have their uses, especially for planets and double stars.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Introductions