observing chairs

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

observing chairs

Postby csm » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Is the[url=http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/SkyWatcher_Observing_Chair.html] skywatcher observing chair[/url] at £99

adjustable from 30 - 82 cm (11.8 - 32.3in)

really better than something like a [url=http://www.atlanticshopping.co.uk/bar-stools/glee-bar-stool-black.html]bar stool[/url]

adjustable from 55 - 79 cm (21.7 - 31.1in) at £40 for most Telescopes?
csm

RE: observing chairs

Postby sftonkin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:46 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: CSM
bar stool[/quote]

Huh! Overpriced fripperies![:D] If I'm not using a recliner (20 quid) with binoculars, I'm using an ironing chair which only cost me a fiver (the best ones -- as in rapid readjust -- are 12 quid at Lidl, but they never seem to have them down this way). I've heard of people using drum stools/thrones as well.
sftonkin

RE: observing chairs

Postby astrokin » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:43 am

Being the owner of so many accessories myself (well we all want our sweeties) I have to agree with Steve.

All these gizmos seem like a great idea at the time, but more often than not, when they arrive there's usually something you've overlooked in your eagerness to fill your apetite.

Re observing chair; if you are observing on a flat level surface great, how many times that happen when you are out in the middle of some field. Also you hear all about how you can adjust it up and down, but it doesn't address setting it up next to the telescope and finding the position to put it where you are comfortable. Every time you change the object you look at it has to be reset up. If you are sketching for long periods it would be worth it.

If you do all your observing from home on a level patio, fine. If you are taking all your stuff to some location in the back end of beyond, you have to carry all your gear and that is another lump, despite the so called light weight.

Use the money to buy a good quality eyepiece, that will probably give you more pleasure.
Kneeling mats are a good idea, they are cheap, very light weight but do save your knees.

Cheers, Simon.
astrokin

Re: observing chairs

Postby PatrickD » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:54 am

Hi, I am looking for observing chairs and stools here in Australia, could you please help me out
Bar Stools Online Australia clicknbuyaustralia com/bar-stools/
PatrickD

Return to Equipment Advice