Old laptops for sale cheap - don't make me recycle them!

Old laptops for sale cheap - don't make me recycle them!

Postby andyg » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:33 pm

I have for my sins 'volunteered' to dispose of a number of old laptops belonging to the school I work for. They were going to the recycler but they're better than that. I have just managed to install xubuntu on one so they might be very useful.

Vary in spec from 650MHz/64Mb to 1333MHz [i]Celeron[/i]/128Mb. Hard disks vary in size up to 20Gb, all have CDROM drive, floppy, at least 1 usb, most have pcmcia slots, ethernet ports, modem and [i]all have both parallel and serial ports[/i]. All were running Win98. All have been hard-disk scrubbed using floppy and CDROM based software so the systems power up and all the main mechanicals appear to work. Some will have good batteries, some won't but all will have a mains supply anyway. The higher spec models should run Xp (Acer Xp Home licence number on them!) but personally I wouldn't even bother ... None are going to be perfect, some may be dirty or have little bits of trim missing as they've been assaulted by kids but they're fundamentally sound and I believe all now have fully furnished keyboards ... (why do kids need to take keytops?)

So there's nothing awe inspiring but with a copy of DOS, Ubuntu or an old MickeySoft OS they'd make a damn cheap laptop for guiding, hooking up to a webcam with USB 1 or using with any hardware that's serial or parallel port based. Best thing is they aren't worth a fortune when the dew is running down the screen outside at night and knackering the keyboard ... Perhaps one machine could run guide dog whilst the another is capturing an image ... ?

If I was to suggest ... err ... say [b]£40 each plus P&P [/b] (I'd guess £10-£15) would anyone be interested? Proceeds are going to school funds so bear this in mind. If nobody wants one I may eBlag them instead but you lot have first dibs ... pm me or post here. I could eBlag them as 'buy it now' if that makes things easier for people. Nothing will be sold until I go back to school after Christmas but I really need to have some idea of interest levels.

If there more than a couple interested I'll give out more details as requested here and find out exactly what the p&p is - otherwise my 'volunteer' status will probably lapse and the recycler may win them!!

AndyG
andyg

RE: Old laptops for sale cheap - don't make me recycle them!

Postby tooth_dr » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:30 am

Blooming good deal there - I have a lower spec laptop than the ones above and it happily runs guidedog and DSLR control, plus webcams for imaging. I paid £50 for mine and absolutely worth it. It struggles with larger DSLR files a bit but I just save onto CF only. :)
tooth_dr

Postby Esmeralda78 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:06 pm

If you're willing to ship over the pond, I could definitely use a few of those; they would make good terminals for EDUbuntu that my kids can use on the in-house server, as well as allow me to do programming work and maintenance from the comfort of my bedroom. I've been looking for a good Thin-Client solution, and I think these laptops would be more than a perfect fit, as well as the fact that they could also be used as standalone lappys for use on the go.

I'll just need to get purchasing approval(wife runs the finances for my business), but that shouldn't be too hard to come by.
Esmeralda78

Postby andyg » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:40 pm

Probably wouldn't be economic to send to anywhere other than UK mainland destinations ...

AndyG
andyg

Postby keithmorris » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi Andy, pm sent to you.

Keith
keithmorris

Postby croenan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:36 am

I would be interested in an acer one with 20gb that would possibly run XP as I have my own licencesed copy.. happy to pay via paypal.
croenan

Postby andyg » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:26 pm

After comments I've tried one 'high spec' [;)] machine with XP.

It installed XP pro, SP2 then all patches/updates (91 of them!) went straight on via wired ethernet (not wireless) as well as a copy of AVG. Screen is at 1024x768 truecolour. I can surf the net and things seem ok. They're currently not the fastest things in the world but more RAM would certainly help (I've currently got some 256Mb sticks on order to experiment with). If my new RAM works ok I'll probably shunt some around to give a few 256Mb machines ... As I said above, I wouldn't regard these as a general purpose XP laptop but slap on a copy of Opera and OpenOffice and they would probably produce a basically usable machine. If I upgrade them obviously I'll want to recoup my costs so bear that in mind as these were not really intended as anything other than 'as is'.

So the current installations I've tried that appear to work ok and have successfully patched/updated off the net: SuSE 10.3, xubuntu, XP Pro. Win98SE and DOS 5 have also been installed and run!

I've yet to try any of this lot (apart from the latter two) on lower spec machines ... another day's job I feel ... [:D]

AndyG
andyg

Postby iwantlaptop » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:10 am

Where could i get one of these old laptops?reply me at [email=wyattkokoszka22@hotmail.com]wyattkokoszka22@hotmail.com[/email] please no laptops for over fifity bucks.
iwantlaptop

Postby andyg » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:16 pm

Just as an FAQ before anyone else asks:

1) It's not economic to send these anywhere other than UK mainland ... possibly mainland Europe but that would be up to the buyer.

2) It's going to be at least the end of the week (4 Jan) before I know exactly what is available and thus prices.

3) I [i]may[/i] have a few sticks of RAM and a bigger hard disk or two to shuffle around the various units but if you want that expect a few quid on the price!

4) Absolutely no guarantees. As far as I can tell they do more or less what they should, weebly bits weeble and flashy bits flash but I'm not testing all parts of all laptops as I'm too old for that. I specifically will not warrant batteries but all will have a mains power supply which will be electrically safety checked before dispatch.

5) Strictly first come, first served. I'm not having a bidding war, that's what ebay is for.

6) Payment by cleared cheque, cash, Paypal accepted. Only those registered on this forum will be considered for anything other than cash/cleared cheque payments. With the odd exceptions for very local individuals, postage only, no collection.

That's it for now ...

AndyG
andyg

Postby andyg » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Just an update. As of Friday afternoon the required bits of paper had not been signed and (I hope understandably) I'm not doing anything until I have a valid signature on the correct pieces of paper so please bear with me.

I will say it again and again and again, if you want to run Xp on any of these it's up to you but I will not be selling them in standard guise as Xp laptops.

I haven't done postage accurately yet but, at a guess, £15 or so each ...

AndyG
andyg

Next

Return to Misc