Orionids 22 October

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

RE: Orionids 22 October

Postby s_hawkins » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:33 pm

Ok, it has gone beyond murphy's/sod's law this time! EVERY time there is a really amazing meteor shower, i ALWAYS go outside to find that

a) The sky is cloaked with clouds
b) The sky is bright orange

I am going to go crazy if i miss the leonids next month. Sorry about this complain but it seems that i am cursed with poor weather.

Regards,

s_hawkins

Postby sleeplessandy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:20 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: S_Hawkins

Ok, it has gone beyond murphy's/sod's law this time! EVERY time there is a really amazing meteor shower, i ALWAYS go outside to find that

a) The sky is cloaked with clouds
b) The sky is bright orange

I am going to go crazy if i miss the leonids next month. Sorry about this complain but it seems that i am cursed with poor weather.

Regards,

[/quote]

Get a flight to somewhere you know there will be little of either light pollution or clouds :)

Even Tenerife and up Teide would do it, maybe.

On your back on a beach in Thailand would do it, of course. *remembers 2002* ;)

sleeplessandy

Postby ariel » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:26 pm

clear skys for me tonight so the orionids are on my agenda. dont know how many i will see though. just a few spatters i expect
ariel

Postby s_hawkins » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:43 pm

Thanks Andy - I'll take your advice [;)]

I guess the sky had listened o my little rant yesterday because boy was it clear! The sky was absolutely amazing and to add to this: i found it difficult to make out perseus!

I'd thought i'd make an account of my viewings from yesternight.

I darted outside the house into the backgarden at about 9:55 and after sorting out my log book, i just gazed up and looked at the whole sky - seeing as it was unbelievably clear. I could make out the pleiades (spelling?) clearly although i was unable to record the amount for the october survey. At 9:57 i recorded seeing a meteor trailing across altair in aquila. I have posted a map shwoing how the trail went. The trail was brillaint blue and was not very fast. Unfortunately, i couldn't see orion after all that due to my next door neighbour's house!

Regards,

[image]local://1246/9930F25DA437481A819C3106E52949EC.jpg[/image]
s_hawkins

Previous

Return to Astro Alerts