Part-work Orrery

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

RE: Part-work Orrery

Postby les » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:03 am

HI Orrerists[:)]
I found a solution to my dust problem I bought the best quality soft 1" paintbrush I could find which really gets in between the cogs.I keep it in the supplied toolcase in the elasticated holder the large screwdriver was in(which was not needed in the build).As for the opinions of Pulsar ,of course he is entitled to his veiw but as Mark says one wonders if his comments are base on first hand experiance of the orrery.True their has been problems with the build and some issues with the motor but I must say any problems Ive encountered have been fairly minor and easily overcome.Ive not been bothered with drooping arms as much as some.My machine is on for several hours a day without any problems that a little tinkering wont solve,so Im very pleased.
Regards and clear skies Les.
les

Postby skylight » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:30 pm

I have to say that im so very pleased i took up the subscription, I've had a couple of parts that neede replacing and am awaiting their arrival but what i've built so far even if it wasnt a working model is still a thing of beauty which i am happy to display in the house.

Les were the brushes supplied in the tool kit not good enough to dust with?
skylight

Postby calico jack » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Back again chaps, but with a brilliant idea....not mine, of course - I nicked it off another forum.
If there's one thing that the original design lacks, it's a calendar - I don't mean the month/day/astrological sign business that we've got already, but a proper year counter. We all know about the 36.5 seconds = 1 year, back or forward, but if you leave the unit running for any length of time, you haven't the faintest idea which year your orrery is "featuring" at any given time.
jonl60 put it thus : "[size=2]It needs a counter which counts up (down) every time the Earth passes from December to January (January to December). I am sure someone could find a neat little counter which could be clipped to the edge of the top engraved gear"[/size]
[size=2]We all have an extra earth/moon/engraved gear wheel (which could conveniently drive a counter) already, courtesy of the replacement in pack 52....anyone fancy coming up with any plans to make a nice 5 digit counter in brass?![/size]
calico jack

Postby ianevs79 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Hiya, I have just finished my orrery and i doesn't seem to be working :( When I turned the power on, it did initially start, but then it all stopped apart from the Sun which is still turning. Have any of you guys had a similar problem?

I am quite pleased with it, even if it isnt working at the moment, although two of the screw holes where in the wrong place to attach the motor to the base plate!

Cheers.
ianevs79

Postby ho66es » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:33 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: IanEvs79

Hiya, I have just finished my orrery and i doesn't seem to be working :( When I turned the power on, it did initially start, but then it all stopped apart from the Sun which is still turning. Have any of you guys had a similar problem?

I am quite pleased with it, even if it isnt working at the moment, although two of the screw holes where in the wrong place to attach the motor to the base plate!

Cheers.
[/quote]

make sure the grub screw that secures mercury to the shaft is secure or the drive won't go from the central shaft to the gear stack (issue 1 page 11 step 3),

as to the screws that's probably caused by the plate that is screwed under the base being orientated wrong, undo the small screws that secure it and rotate until all is lined up (issue 1 page 10 step 1)
ho66es

Postby ianevs79 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:06 am

I tightened it and again initially it did work, but aagain came to a grinding halt, but I will check on it again tommorow. Looks like one of the grub screws keeps coming loose :( Oh well, I will try tightening it a bit more. Thanks for the help :)

ianevs79

Postby clipperride » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:56 am

Did anyone else notice the part work Orrery on Sir Patricks Moores desk when he was asked to say a few words for the evening News about Stephen Hawkins recent illness?

I must say that I am delighted with my finished Orrery. Looking at the prices for a pre-built orrery, I think this part work represents excellent value for money.

Regards

Mark B
clipperride

Postby skylight » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:43 pm

Well I went for it and decided to try finishing the orrery today even though after three phone calls and several emails ( month or so ago) i am still waiting for replacement parts (used super glue instead of grubscrew in meantime) and have to say it worked first time, dead quiet and smooth, well pleased

Havnt tried calibrating it yet, will leave it running for a while in case of problems first.

Now I'll start the tellurian. [:D]
skylight

Postby les » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:03 pm

HI There,
Skylight,the good news is after a few minor teething problems after completion my machine has been running smoothly and faultlessly for several hours a day for about three weeks with the Earth going round many thousands times now without a hitch.It looks great when I remember to dust it.[:D]
Regards Les.
les

Postby smeagol » Mon May 25, 2009 10:10 pm

One thing I can't remember seeing mentioned is positioning the central rod, that the sun is fixed to, and tube, that all the gears are fixed to.

My Orrery started to run noisily after assembly and after some fettling I realised that when I assembled it I had positioned the central tube as far into the base as possible. This meant that the central rod was putting all it's weight onto the output gear, as the motor gears run in, effectively, plain plastic bearings I felt that this would be likely to reduce the life of the gears considerably. To combat this I raised the central tube slightly to ensure that it's weight was not resting on the output shaft and that the weight of the sun was not resting on the output gear of the motor assembly.

Since doing this the noise level has reduced considerably and I can achieve a 36.5 second orbit for the Earth.

Hope this is of use.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
smeagol

PreviousNext

Return to General