Part-work Orrery

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Part-work Orrery

Postby clipperride » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:30 am

Hi All,

Not sure if you have seen the recent TV ads for a new part work magazine series;

[url=http://www.build-solar-system.com/tv/tv_ad.html]http://www.build-solar-system.com/tv/tv_ad.html[/url]

I am normally somewhat suspicious of such magazines as they can work out rather expensive. After looking at the website and seeing that it was endorsed by Sir Patrick Moore;

[url=http://www.build-solar-system.com/tv/patrick_pop.html]http://www.build-solar-system.com/tv/patrick_pop.html[/url]

I decided to have a look at the first issue. I must say that I am rather impressed. With parts arriving with each of the weekly magazines it is complete in 52 weeks @ £5.99 per issue. Ok that is a good old stack of cash but you do get a rather nice and unusual brass orrery. It's different in that it is dated 24th August 2006 (the date the IAU officially reclassified Pluto and introduced the new class of dwarf planet) and shows all 11 planets and dwarf planets. It can be set to show the planets positions on cetain dates with a guide showing how to set the positions for other dates, it also runs with the aid of a variable speed electric motor.

The important thing with any of these magazine series is to consider if the total price of the series is an amount you would pay for the finished object. For once I for one think it is.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Mark B
clipperride

RE: Part-work Orrery

Postby col » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:30 am

Oops sorry,i cross posted a link to this,but im very interested in this,looks nice.
col

Postby mba007 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:36 am

Just over £300 for a working orrery. It does look a marvellous bronze object and it is quite tempting. You say you have the first issue. When was it released? [for some reason the website tells me April 2008??]

Thanks,
mba007

Postby sftonkin » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:36 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: mba007

It does look a marvellous bronze object
[/quote]

The blurb on the site says that it's brass, not bronze. I guess the worth of it will depend on how well the bits are engineered. I can't help thinking that the[url=http://www.build-solar-system.com/tv/building_pop.html] instruction video[/url] (around 5:15) makes it look a tad wobbly, suggesting dubious precision.
sftonkin

Postby skye at night » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:26 am

Hello,

Synical me would put a large portion of that 300 sheets over the counter at Mr Ladbrokes to bet that the mag. never gets near issue 52 and the punters will have racked up 200 pounds or more on a project that will never be completed....

How many of these type of things ever run their course?

I think they wait to see what the initial take-up is before even deciding to run the full number of issues...

Steve

skye at night

Postby Chanctonbury » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:16 am

I am always cynical of these magazines and my youngest son's experience with a 'robot' kit is testimony to the fact that it can all go expensively wrong!

£300.00 for a brass Orrery doen't seem bad at first glance but the engineering would need to be top notch to justify this expenditure and that is a bit of an unknown quantity. Although a lovely object to astronomers, this is a very niche product and could well not have the take up the publisher is looking for which would mean the despite the IAU there could be even fewer planets in the solar system!
Chanctonbury

Postby clipperride » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:56 am

As far as I know the magazine has just come out on sale, I got a copy yesterday 6/3/06.

As has been mentioned a lot will depend on the quality. The weight of the first two parts is rather impressive and as the first gears are with part two, we will soon be able to see if they seem up to scratch.

As for the numbers they need to sell to break even. I am not sure where a consumer would stand if they decided to cancel part way through (****ed I would expect!). I have only ever collected one other part work that ran for 3 years and without any problems.

I will keep you updated as to the quality of the parts as it is possible to get back issues for those who want to wait and see.

Cheers

Mark
clipperride

Postby mba007 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:46 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: sftonkin

[quote]ORIGINAL: mba007

It does look a marvellous bronze object
[/quote]

The blurb on the site says that it's brass, not bronze.

[/quote]

Yes, sorry. They start with the same letters [:D]
mba007

Postby Chanctonbury » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:20 pm

I'll be interested to se how you get on with the quality - I have always rather fancied one of these!
Chanctonbury

[Deleted]

Postby rsteadman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:20 pm

[Deleted by Admins]
rsteadman

Next

Return to General