Perseid Meteors

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

Perseid Meteors

Postby Aratus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:10 pm

On 31st July I went outside at around 11:30pm local time. While looking up I saw a Perseid meteor. It reminded me that the number of these will increase until the best time which occurs on the evening of Friday 12th August and the early morning of the Saturday 13th. (However see the edit below) Perseids can be identified because they appear to originate from the constellation of Perseus. (In fact they are left over bits of comet Swift-Tuttle.) At its peak it may be possible to see 1 every minute or so, or even more frequently. The moon will brighten the sky that evening which is not the best conditions to observe meteors, but it will set around 1:30am. The morning sky is the best time to see them anyway. The 13th is a Saturday, which might make it easier to stay up!

Meteors are somtimes call 'shooting-stars'. It is possible to photograph them, but it is an exercise of pure luck (or lack of it). Last year I took over 240 photographs and failed to catch any. :(

EDIT. Since the peak is actually on Friday afternoon, There will be just as good a chance the night before - Thursday evening/Friday morning. I notice some people predicting that Friday morning will be better, and they may be right. Try both!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Perseid Meteors

Postby Graeme1858 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:29 pm

Aratus wrote:Meteors are somtimes call 'shooting-stars'. It is possible to photograph them, but it is an exercise of pure luck (or lack of it). Last year I took over 240 photographs and failed to catch any. :(

I also left the remote shutter locked on until the battery went flat an caught nought but for a few faint blurs and some airplane trails! Then later on saw a brilliant bright pink trail going some 20 degrees across the night sky!

Is it too early to start talking about the 2018 meteor shower yet? :?: Should start seeing the odd one now. It's a new moon at peak time this year.

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:05 pm

One of our Astro Club members put together a 'how to' sheet for photographing the 2016 Perseids. We already had a 'recording' sheet - which predates my time with them, but looks like the 2014 Geminids.
How to (pdf format)
https://www.midcheshireastro.co.uk/How% ... howers.pdf

Recording sheet (doc format)
https://www.midcheshireastro.co.uk/METE ... ORDING.doc
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:10 pm

The Perseids have technically begun, although I've not seen any yet. The peak time this year is the evening of the 12th, and morning of the 13th August - and no moon to get in the way this year! I find that they come and go throughout each night around the 12th/13th. Sometimes I've seen more a day or two before the peak than the peak itself, so it is worth going out for several nights. Kind weather is essential, but last year it was a wash out for me!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:08 am

Aratus wrote:The Perseids have technically begun, although I've not seen any yet. The peak time this year is the evening of the 12th, and morning of the 13th August - and no moon to get in the way this year! I find that they come and go throughout each night around the 12th/13th. Sometimes I've seen more a day or two before the peak than the peak itself, so it is worth going out for several nights. Kind weather is essential, but last year it was a wash out for me!

We're off to Solarsphere near Builth Wells for that weekend.

http://www.solarsphere.events/
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:07 pm

Great! Let's hope for clear skies. When the Perseids are good, it can be really good. It is nice to share the experience with others. I have often thought of setting up some kind of radio signal reflection detector, and pick up the trails irrespective of the cloud, but I never give myself enough time to do it.
Aratus

Return to Astro Alerts