Perseids - and other objects

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Perseids - and other objects

Postby mr nood » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:20 am

Hi - My first post here - hope you can help.

Whilst gazing for an hour or so this evening watching for Perseids (I saw 2 or 3) I also observed several other moving objects which I cannot identify.

I used 12x50 binos to track at least 3 moving objects, and observed at least 3 more with eyeballs.
They lasted 10 -15 s so I assume were not meteorites.
They all faded out after this time, but not at a discernable common bearing. (i.e not reflected sunlight - too late for this I guess too)
Time was 11 pm and objects were visible from E-W so assume not satellites.
They were distinctly SINGLE points and not flashing, so presumably not aircraft.
Tracks were generally SW-NE but at least 1 was W-E and apparent speed was faster than aircraft, and by ny estimation were higher than an aircraft. (I also observed genuine aircraft for comparison)

This is a genuine technical question - not expecting any radical answers! But would appreciate anyone explaining what I may have been observing

Thanks
Mr Nood
mr nood

RE: Perseids - and other objects

Postby bill__gensheet » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:16 am

I'd still favour satellites and rocket debris. It is still summer enough for there to be quite a lot illuminated.
Check out the listing at http://www.heavens-above.com
The 10 - 15 seconds is the only oddity, but may depend on when you picked them up

Bill
bill__gensheet

Postby uea74 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Satellites, they don't all, or even the majority, go North to South.
The nice big bright ISS tends to be west(ish) to east(ish).

Used to be a map on the NASA site that showed the satellites, and we are in a cloud of the things. Some are shown on the heavens-above site so that could be worth look.

They can appear and disappear because they are high enough up that when we are in dark they can go into and out of sunlight depending on their track.
uea74

Postby mr nood » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:20 am

Hi & thanks

In hindsight I guess I can understand how a satellite could appear illuminated in the tracks I saw, the 'geometry' must be quite complicated.

Having watched tonight for perseids again (5 or 6 very good ones) I realise there are lots more visible man made things than I had thought.

I guess the answer was obvious - there is no reasonable other option.

Thx for taking the time to reply.
mr nood

Postby ok0510@126.com » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:36 am

Have a look at my [url=http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/PaulHardy/Astrophotography/?action=view¤t=Satelites2.mp4]animation[/url] to see if it's the sort of thing you witnessed. There are around 10 satelites and the meteor at the end.
ok0510@126.com

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question