Photo plus software

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Photo plus software

Postby Bizibilder » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Where do I find the Registration number required for this software? I can't find it and it appears that the software will not run without it!! This is the freebie with the May issue of S@N. Thanks.

EDIT

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME LOADING THIS - YOU NEED TO PHONE SERIF FOR A UNIQUE REGISTRATION NUMBER!!! ALL YOU GET IS THE FULL SALES PITCH. IF YOU OPEN THE SOFTWARE AND DON'T REGISTER IT WILL NOT WORK AND YOU HAVE TO UNINSTALL IT.

SKY AT NIGHT SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES FOR PUBLISHING THIS SORT OF THING - PEOPLE WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE ABLE TO DO THE UNINSTALL AND WILL BE LEFT WITH USELESS SOFTWARE CLOGGING THEIR COMPUTER.

IT IS GIVEN AWAY AS FREEWARE WHICH IT IS NOT.

RANT OVER.

Bizibilder

RE: Photo plus software

Postby theyppmc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:50 pm

I`m in the same boat, cannot find the reg key either....Help!!!!!

However it seems on the registration page theres a free uk phone number to call to get the reg key, however, this does not help me at all, because i only have a mobile phone(no land line) and my mobile will not allow 0800 numbers

Tom.
theyppmc

Postby theyppmc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Ok,

i just managed to register via the phone, but what a palava. The guy who i spoke to gave me the sales talk, telling me that this is the basic version without all the features of the upgrade(which i already understood). He then went on to tell me i could purchase the upgraded version of Photoplus 4 for a little over £80.00, which i refused , then i was told if i "buy now" he could sell me the upgrade for a little more than £30.00, again i made it plain i was only interested in seeing what this basic version offered before i decide if i wanted to upgrade.

This guy did not want to give up and continued to tell me all about the features in the upgrade, in the end i lost my cool and insisted he give me the registration key without further pressure, which he finally did after keeping me on the phone for 20 minutes.

Anyways, having taken a quick look at this software , i think if anyone is interested in this basic version then perhaps Paint.net might be the better option, its free and has pretty much the same features without the hassle of a sales pitch.

Tom.
theyppmc

Postby Bizibilder » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Rant moved to post 1.
Bizibilder

Postby theyppmc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:36 pm

It does make me wonder if whoever from the Sky at Night team selects the free software to be put on the Mag cd, actually checks to see if there might be a problem.

Ok, the software in its basic form "IS FREE", and, the phone number provided to register "IS FREE", but that does not excuse having to go through a full on sales pitch before the Registration Key is offered, in total for me , and despite me telling the sales rep i was only interested in the free registation key, i was subjected to a 25 minute or so sales pitch, i can well imagine that someone who is not as savvey as me, would or could feel pressured into buying the upgraded verion 4 at a cost of over £80.00.

Whats worse is that after refusing their offer and, again having asked for the key, the rep then tried to sell me the very same upgrade software at a "buy now" cost of £30.00.

Perhaps someone from the S@N team should check that in any future software freebies on the CD does not come with a sales pitch from the provider. I dont mind filling in a registration form online when the software asks me to do so, and i dont mind getting emails from software companies asking if i want to upgrade, but i do object most strongly to the full on phone sales pitch i got today! There will of course be some poor persons who will feel pressured into buying online this software, without actually being allowed to try the trial version first ,because they have to undergo the sales pitch before they are given the free registration key.

Tom.
theyppmc

Postby nebogipfel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:13 pm

From what I have seen this is how Serif marketing operates. They give away a free and VERY cut down version and then when they have your contact details they hound you with offers of upgrades to the full version.

Best avoided IMO
nebogipfel

Postby theyppmc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Yes your right, best avoided, but until you know, you cannot avoid, lol

I felt so strongly about the tactics used by the salesman on the phone that i have now written an email of complaint directly to Serif , not sure it will do any good mind, to me its just bad practise to hound people into purchasing products, as i have said, if the free version is good then it should speak for itself and people will upgrade to the full version. Pressure tactics however should be outlawed.

Is it at all possible that the Admin here could highlight my concerns to the people responsible for putting this software on the CD, i am not complaining about the software itself, just the underhanded way that this company hard sell their product to the public, in other words, the fact that in order to use this free software we are subjected on the phone to the hard sell before we are offered the registation key, the fact that we have to phone this company to get the reg key, gives them the power not only to give us a hard sell, but they then have access to our phone numbers stored on their computers which means we can be subjected to unsolisited(sp?) phone calls in the future.

I would be very interested in knowing if the team has any view on my concerns.

Tom.
theyppmc

Postby dave.b » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:10 pm

If you want free image editing software then I would have thought that GIMP was about the only sensible choice.

SERIF have a reputation this type of marketing and I'm sure this is not the first time they've been on the cover disk either. Try searching the forum and see what else comes up! ;-)

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby sagittarius » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:40 am

Hi,
I use Photo Pos Pro and is very similar to paintshop pro. It's a freeware download from http://www.photopos.com/. Think it mite be similar to Photo Shop as well.
Fred
sagittarius

Postby bml4564 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:20 pm

[quote]I felt so strongly about the tactics used by the salesman on the phone that i have now written an email of complaint directly to Serif [/quote]

I had this very problem with Serif some years ago regarding one of their 'free' photo editing packages. I also wrote to the manager of serif UK and had a curt and rather snotty letter back basically saying that if i wasnt happy with their selling techniques i'd be best to avoid Serif in the future ! so much for customer relations.

My advice to everyone is avoid the software on the disc this month, theres plenty of other good editing software on the market at reasonable prices. If you need to sound off at someone, i think it should be whoever allowed this software to appear on the disc in the first place !!

Nuff said !!
bml4564

Next

Return to General