Photographing my views (Is this astroimaging?)

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Photographing my views (Is this astroimaging?)

Postby joelpeyton » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi guys and girls. Recently got myself a Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 200mm Newtonian Reflector Telescope, completely happy with my purchase as this is my first scope, not so happy with the cloudy skies!!! Anyhow I am interested in seeing if I can take some photos of some of the objects that I am viewing, my first attempt and I'm pretty impressed with it was by sticking a compact digital camera on the end of the eyepiece and clicking. This image was of the moon, and ok I was impressed but it certainly wouldn't win any prizes. So my question to you guys is, what are my options, bearing in mind that I do not at this stage want to be spending a fortune.

Thanks in advance
joelpeyton

RE: Photographing my views (Is this astroimaging?)

Postby brianb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Long exposure imaging of faint objects is a very expensive area to get in to but web cam imaging of moon & planets should be well within your grasp. The best camera for beginners is the Philips SP900NC, these are no longer manufactured but you can get an SP880 from Morgans Cameras & have it "flashed" to SP900NC specification. There are lots of threads about webcam imaging on this forum.
brianb

Postby joelpeyton » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks Brian, just checked out Morgan Computers website and seems very reasonable. Do you know much about these things, if so what does then why does the 880 need "flashing" to the 900 (suppose I should read the other threads as well)

Thanks
joelpeyton

Postby brianb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:13 pm

[quote]why does the 880 need "flashing" to the 900[/quote]
Because modern computers loaded with Vista / Win 7 will not recognise the camera if it's running 880 firmware.

brianb

Postby worcspaul » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Morgans will do the "flashing" for you for a small charge (though the process is straightforward). You'll also need an adapter which screws into the camera where the lens normally does. Morgans can also supply that (see here: [url=https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/Shop/detail.asp?ProductID=6342&CategoryID=452&SubCategoryID=]Webcam adapter[/url])
worcspaul

Postby philip pugh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:13 pm

I would persevere with the compact digital camera for a while. They are particularly useful when time is short or you are trying to snap something in between clouds. Also, compact digital cameras can take longer exposures (some models do 15 secs) and these can capture brighter DSOs like the Pleiades and Beehive. You can also capture the whole lunar disc. Incidentally, you can modify some webcams to take longer exposures.

Webcams are usually better for precision close-up shots, although I'm finding Jupiter a struggle, I've managed some nice shots of the Moon, Venus and Castor. However, they can be fiddly to set up and if the weather is damp you may not wish to bring your laptop outside.

Yes, it would be good if S@N gave us all a free DSLR and CCD with each issue but webcams and compact digital cameras still have a lot of unturned stones
philip pugh

Postby philip pugh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:13 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: joelpeyton

Hi guys and girls. Recently got myself a Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 200mm Newtonian Reflector Telescope, completely happy with my purchase as this is my first scope, not so happy with the cloudy skies!!! Anyhow I am interested in seeing if I can take some photos of some of the objects that I am viewing, my first attempt and I'm pretty impressed with it was by sticking a compact digital camera on the end of the eyepiece and clicking. This image was of the moon, and ok I was impressed but it certainly wouldn't win any prizes. So my question to you guys is, what are my options, bearing in mind that I do not at this stage want to be spending a fortune.

Thanks in advance

[/quote]

P.S. It isn't my aim to photograph objects with the idea of winning prizes. I just like to look at them and share my shots with others who like looking at them too.
philip pugh

Postby scarlet » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Hi,

I've recently bought the same !

I already have a Canon 7D for photography.

You should be able to get a very reasonable 2nd hand 350D / 400D

Also have a read of this thread - i've found it very useful ! http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tm.asp?m=87138&mpage=1&key=

scarlet

Return to Equipment Advice