Piggy Back telescopes

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Piggy Back telescopes

Postby RonMcK » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Is it easy to piggy back one scope on top of another? I have a 8" celestron SCT on a eq mount and would like to mount a 4 inch refractor on top to use as a guide scope. I know you can mount them in parallel with dovetail, but I would like to mount them one above the other.

Ron
RonMcK

Re: Piggy Back telescopes

Postby dave.b » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:35 pm

You can use tube rings and a dovetail bar (or accessory plate) to create a new 'scope mounting platform, although I think these bit of metal work are sold for shockingly large sums! The main thing to consider is whether your mount is able to comfortably handle the weight of the total payload.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby RonMcK » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks for that, it works OK when I mount them in parallel, so should be ok piggy back, I'll have a look on line to see where I can get the kit to do this.

Ron
RonMcK

Postby dave.b » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:53 pm

The cheapest tube rings I could find a year back were from OVL (Skywatcher I think), but then I was looking for 5" ones. I suggest you compare the total cost of a side-by-side arrangement versus a piggy-back one, unless of course it has to be piggy-back.

Lets us know how you get on.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby RonMcK » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:13 am

Will do Dave, thanks for this. Could do with some clear skies to try things out with.

Ron
RonMcK

Return to General