Planet Alignment

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Planet Alignment

Postby charmquark » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:26 pm

My reason for this question is purely because it makes me wonder what will happen when the Milky Way in directly in the middle of us......some say nothing will happen some say something will others say it's got something to do with 2012 (which i think is silly) I just find it intriging and exciting I know the last time this happened none of us would have been around but maybe someone out there has some answer or at least an idea of what will happen.

[:)]
charmquark

RE: Planet Alignment

Postby Graham Southorn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:33 pm

OK, fair enough but you'll have to be a bit more specific! What do you mean when you say that the 'Milky Way' is in the middle of us?

Earth is in the Solar System, which is in one of the spiral arms of the Milky Way. You can see part of the Milky Way from Earth - it's like a cloudy band across the sky. Without knowing quite what you mean, it's hard to answer!
Graham Southorn

Postby charmquark » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi there skyed

[quote]Well what does that mean and what does it have to do with humanities future? In the milky way, which is an active galaxy, our solar system moves above and below this galactic plain. As stars and planetary systems, including our own approach this galactic plain the gravitational influence increases, which disturbs the stability of the planets, including earth. The passage through the most dense portion of the gravitational plain is the direct result of the devastation cycles and pole shifts that we see recorded throughout earths history. This distinct nature of our solar system is how many ancient civilizations based there calenders, which are incredibly accurate.[/quote]

It's just something i am interested in, would be happy to see what other people think [:)]
charmquark

Postby charmquark » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:26 am

ok let me re-phrase this [:D]

What will happen when the Planets go into Alignment? forget about the Milky Way bit, i feel stupid about that [:)]

Emma
charmquark

Postby akgray » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:16 am

Nothing.

The premise is they when they all align, the combined mass of the aligned planets will have an effect on the surface of the earth. However they are so far away that any effect they have is swamped out by the effect of the sun or moon.

The law which enables you to predict the force exerted on a body uses the product of the masses of the objects and divides them by the distance between them squared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_universal_gravitation

The distance has more of an effect on the force than the masses and the Sun and Moon are much closer.

As an aside astrologists claim that the gravitational field of the planets at your birth affects your personality. However as the midwife is much closer to you when you are born, the mass of the midwife causes a more significant gravitational pull on you, maybe they would be more correct if they took that into account :-)
akgray

Postby Graham Southorn » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:36 am

akgray is correct, there's no gravitational effect because the planets are so far away.

If you think about the Moon, it's so close to us you can see it in the sky and it looks big. But even the Moon only causes tides. I "only" - of course tides can have devastating effects, but on the other hand the Moon doesn't pull the Earth apart! The planets are huge distances away from each other as well, so even when they line up there is very little change in the gravity we feel on Earth.

On the other hand, it's great for amateur astronomers when planets all come together in the night sky - it's called an occultation. They happen quite regularly (not ALL the planets at the same time, of course!) and we feature them most months in the magazine's Stargazing Guide.
Graham Southorn

Postby charmquark » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Thank you both so much for your explanations [:)]

I didn't know much about it to be honest so i thought this was the best place to post [:D] thank you both again.

Emma
charmquark

Postby akgray » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:53 pm

Happy to help, probably why I am a teacher [:D]
akgray

Postby charmquark » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:33 pm

akgray [:D]

I like that [:)]
charmquark

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question