Planetary Imaging - Help Needed

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Planetary Imaging - Help Needed

Postby mister c » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:59 am

Hello

I am new to astrophotography and recently I bought a Celestron Neximage 5 to go with my Celestron SkyProdigy 102. I installed the software and imaged the moon (with good results), and recently I tried to image Saturn, but without success this time. I set everything up and I was tracking Saturn with a 5mm eyepiece making sure that it was centered. But when I replaced the eyepiece with the NexImage camera my laptop screen was just dark. I couldn't find the planet anywhere. I know the camera works as I've tested it on the Moon and terrestrial objects in the daytime, so this was quite frustrating. Does anyone have any tips they can offer to a newbie? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks folks.
mister c

Re: Planetary Imaging - Help Needed

Postby dave.b » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:45 pm

I'm guessing this camera has a small sensor and therefore a small field of view. This means picking up a small object on it can be tricky, whereas the moon is large and easy once the telescope is pointing at it. To make matters worse you may also find that the centre of the camera is not the centre of the 'scopes field of view. For example, a lock screw on the focus tube's lens holder can push it off centre. You'll need to experiment to figure if this is the problem, may be with a daylight object as the target. I've used pylon towers before now for such purposes.

Another possibility is the camera's gain and shutter speed controls are set for the moon and not for a planet. Is it operating in auto or manual mode?

Hour that helps.
Dave B.
dave.b

Return to General