Please help, what is the difference between these

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Please help, what is the difference between these

Postby Fernie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:15 am

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a telescope, am brand new to all of this. I have seen this one but found it for two very different prices. Please could someone advise if there is a lot of difference between the two kits and if the one is worth the more premium price tag?

Unfortunately I am unable to copy in the URL's as keep getting error message saying to remove off site URL's as post looks too spamy for new user.

The telescope I was looking at is the Celestron AstroMaster LT 60AZ and is on telescopeplanet website for half the price than it is on the John Lewis website but on the latter it seems to include a moon filter and different eye piece?

Thank you for your help.

Fern
Fernie

Re: Please help, what is the difference between these

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:59 pm

It looks like the John Lewis version (the "Plus" model) is an exclusive to John Lewis, presumably to avoid the "price match" promise; sorry, that should have read "presumably to offer an unbeatable deal for their customers".

The extra cost is not really warranted, as a moon filter can be bought for as little as £10, but won't really be needed with a 60mm objective, and the higher power eyepiece will be of limited value, I'd expect.

Although I expect either telescope itself to be usable, it's an f11 scope, so it'll have a relatively narrow field of view, and won't give very bright images, but my main concern would be the utility of the mount - I'm not sure how usable it will be for astronomical use - particularly for objects that are almost overhead.

My advice - of the two, go for the cheaper one.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Gfamily2 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:02 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:My advice - of the two, go for the cheaper one.

Really should have added - "however, you may find the telescope isn't really that satisfying to use, and you might want to consider spending a bit more which will give you a more usable set-up."
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Fernie » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:10 pm

Thank you for your reply, could you recommend a good starter setup kit please. Want to try and get something user friendly for beginners and will be satisfying to use so I don't get bored and give up on something I've wanted to do for a long time. Thank you
Fernie

Postby Gfamily2 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:37 pm

Fernie wrote:Thank you for your reply, could you recommend a good starter setup kit please. Want to try and get something user friendly for beginners and will be satisfying to use so I don't get bored and give up on something I've wanted to do for a long time. Thank you

At under £100, this 4" table-top reflector looks promising
http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/20813 ... tage-100p/
It has a screw in the base so that you can mount it on a decent camera tripod as an alternative to using a table.

If you're willing to spend a little bit more, you might want to consider a 6" Dobsonian telescope, not quite so easy to carry around, but easy enough to take into the garden.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby dave.b » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:53 pm

I agree with every thing said so far, but would add that for under a £100 you'd be better off with a pair of binoculars mounted on a tall camera tripod and a good beginners book to star gazing.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Definitely, go for binoculars. Lots of choice for £100 or less. Go for 12x magnification or less. I use 15x but I've arms like statues.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question