Using a magnifying shaving mirror as a primary mirror

Share practical advice and tips on making your own kit

Using a magnifying shaving mirror as a primary mirror

Postby queensmessenger » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:56 pm

I am new to this telescope making business and am wondering if anyone has built a telescope using an ordinary magnifying shaving mirror. My local pharmacist has a large stock of various sized mirrors from about 4" to 9" diameter.. I know that focal distance would have to be measured but is the optical quality or lack of it not worth pursuing this line of thought

Thanks
queensmessenger

RE: Using a magnifying shaving mirror as a primary mirror

Postby pmwright » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:53 pm

Hello there,

You might find this of interest,

[url=http://members.csolutions.net/fisherka/astronote/astromath/htmatkit/Handout%20Herschelian%20telescope%20how%20to%20make.pdf]http://members.csolutions.net/fisherka/astronote/astromath/htmatkit/Handout%20Herschelian%20telescope%20how%20to%20make.pdf[/url]

I did a quick search of "telescope shaving mirror" and that was at the top of the list.

Peter

pmwright

Postby brianb » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:50 am

[quote]is the optical quality or lack of it not worth pursuing this line of thought
[/quote]
My feeling is that shaving mirrors are likely to be too inacurate by a factor of about 1000.

brianb

Postby miwslb » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Also, modern shaving mirrors can be made in a mould rather than polished from a flat piece of glass, which means that the surface is slightly bumpy.

The difference is that a shaving mirror can be bought for around 10 quid instead of 50, but it means that the surface is not actually spherical.

A shaving mirror polished from a flat piece of glass will generally be very close to spherical.

Focal length on shaving mirrors is very long, which is good news if you're building a telescope with a spherical primary - but you do need a spherical one, a bumpy surface gives a blob instead of a point at the focus.

I built a Newtonian telescope like this with my little boy to see how this type of telescope works. We used a 7.99 shaving mirror (sadly Woolworths have since disappeared) and used a flat cosmetic mirror for the secondary. A cardboard outer-cylinder and kitchen-roll tube focuser completed the design. The size of the dot at 'sharp' focus, was around 2 cm - so completely useless as a telescope, but does demonstrate everything about a Newtonian scope (we even added a toilet-roll tube as a finder scope).

Once you've spent on a shaving mirror that is polished from an initially flat piece of glass, you can pretty much buy a parabolic primary for the same amount (from the same companies).

I would say it's worth doing this exercise to understand how this type of optics work, but you will only be able to make a useful telescope if you are able to test a large number of these mirrors to find one that actually has a small dot focus.

Hope this helps
Mike
miwslb

Postby queensmessenger » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:23 pm

Thanks to you both for this interesting bit of information. Probably not worth pursuing as the results will, except in rare cases with a true mirror won't be worth the effort. An interesting experiment however.. Perhaps I should work out a simple method to determine the quality of a shaving mirror and then go to my pharmacist armed with a torch and some sort of screen/viewing device and work through his stock of mirrors for the best. Watch You-tube for the resulting ejection from the shop! Faster than a shuttle launch I bet.

Thanks again folks

Doug
queensmessenger

Return to Telescope Making