Tonight's Viewing

Tonight's Viewing

Postby philip pugh » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:50 am

Managed a few snaps of the Moon and saw Mars tonight (although no pics): http://philippugh.fortunecity.com/Latest_Observations.html
philip pugh

RE: Tonight's Viewing

Postby les » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:43 am

HI Philip,
It will soon be the galaxy season again.[:)]But with the Moon where it is just now I think we must restrict ourselves to the Solar System and the brighter double stars,until the Moon clears the Virgo supercluster.[8|]
Regards Les.
les

Postby philip pugh » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:16 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: Les

HI Philip,
It will soon be the galaxy season again.[:)]But with the Moon where it is just now I think we must restrict ourselves to the Solar System and the brighter double stars,until the Moon clears the Virgo supercluster.[8|]
Regards Les.
[/quote]

I FINALLY saw the Virgo supercluster last year after years of trying but it meant staying up until the early hours. By the time it gets well-placed for evening viewing, we don't get a truly dark sky. Some of the brighter ones like M87 can be seen in less than perfect conditions but many of the fainter members are marginal with my kit.
philip pugh

Postby crazy about stars » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:33 pm

great photos keep them coming

crazy about stars
crazy about stars

Postby philip pugh » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:50 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: crazy about stars

great photos keep them coming

crazy about stars
[/quote]

Thanks. The good thing about my photos is that most people can do them. I'm not going to get dust lanes in M31 but can get lunar and solar shots and even some bright deep sky objects. There's thousands on my site.
philip pugh

Postby jackatron » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:33 am

HI Philip,
Regards Les.
[/quote]
[quote]It will soon be the galaxy season again.[:)][/quote]

Galaxy Season... Dish Dish I Would Like To Hear More About This! [;)]

Amazing Images Philip, Truely Breathtaking. I Would Really Like To See Some More Soon! [:)]

Im A Bit Of A Newbie To Astronomy And Im At The Moment Having Trouble Spotting M81 And M82, Have You Got Any Tips For Spotting DSO's?! [:D]

I Would Be Thankful For Any Help! [:D]

J
jackatron

Postby philip pugh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:10 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jackatron

HI Philip,
Regards Les.
[/quote]
[quote]It will soon be the galaxy season again.[:)][/quote]

Galaxy Season... Dish Dish I Would Like To Hear More About This! [;)]

Amazing Images Philip, Truely Breathtaking. I Would Really Like To See Some More Soon! [:)]

Im A Bit Of A Newbie To Astronomy And Im At The Moment Having Trouble Spotting M81 And M82, Have You Got Any Tips For Spotting DSO's?! [:D]

I Would Be Thankful For Any Help! [:D]

J
[/quote]

"Galaxy season" means the Virgo supercluster and its neighbours in Coma Berenices and Leo. Best to try M81 first, though, as its the 3rd brightest galaxy visible from the UK. If you have a star atlas or Stellarium, it'll show you where M81 is. Otherwise I can draw you a map. If the conditions and/or your equipment don't allow you to see M81, then there's no point in continuing. If you can see a fuzzy patch where M81 is supposed to be, you could try for M65 and M66 in Leo. If you can see some structure in M81 then you're onto a good thing. If you can't see M65 or M66 then you won't see anything in the Virgo supercluster. With a telescope, I find a light pollution reduction filter is a great help. I've managed to spot M65 and M66 through bins but never anything in the supercluster but it could be possible from a dark site.

Use your lowest possible magnification on galaxies, at least to start with.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.
philip pugh

Postby jackatron » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks For The Reply Phillip, Ahh I See Sounds Good To Me And Its Just What Ive Been Waiting For As I Bought My Skywatcher 1145P To Try And Spot Some Galaxies Etc.. [:D] Thanks For The Offer Of Drawing Me A Map But I Have Stellarium And I Just Need A Clear Night To Find It Its Been Really Cloudy At The Moment, According To The FoV Calculator On The S@N Website Under Interactive Tools I Should Be Able To See With Some Detail. Im Lucky That Brackley Isn't Too Bad For Light Pollution However A Big Eucalyptus Tree Blocks Ursa Major For A Little While But Ill Wait! [;)]

Thanks For The Advice And Ill Get Back To You When I Find Out! (y) [:D]

J
jackatron

Postby les » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:06 am

HI Jackatron,
I hope your managing to spot these galaxies.[:)]Unfortunatly when the Moon set the sky hazed over so no DSO's for me however the conditions were ideal for observing Saturn and double stars,so Im tired but happy.
Regards and clear skies Les.
les

Postby jackatron » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:43 pm

Hello Les! [:D]

Well Ive Been Having The Same Problem My Friend The Moons Out Soo I Couldn't Spot M82 Tonigt, But I Spent Quite A while Looking At Saturn Also, And Was Watching The Moon For A Little While, Soo I Had Some Good Veiwing Personally! [:D]

Cant Wait For The Sodding Moon To Go! (Y) [;)] Also Thinking Of Buying A LP Filter Too! [:D]

Hope You Have Clear Skys.. [:D]

J
jackatron

Return to Telescopic Observing