The Sky Guide - July 2010

More from Pete Lawrence on the magazine's monthly stargazing guide, plus your observations.

The Sky Guide - July 2010

Postby Graham Southorn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:00 am

Observations of objects mentioned in this month's magazine.
Graham Southorn

RE: The Sky Guide - July 2010

Postby Pete Lawrence » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:30 am

After an excellent June, July has been somewhat troublesome. I missed the crescent Moon close to the Pleiades which was visible in the early hours of the 8th of July due to cloud. I got a brief look at the Moon on the following morning as it was rising above neighbouring houses. It looked fantastic in the dawn sky with a bright crescent offset by the unlit part of the Moon glowing in reflected light from the Earth - an effect known as earthshine. The viewing gap was short lived though and there wasn't enough time to catch it with my camera unfortunately.

If the clouds do part I will be trying to get a view of comet Temple 2 close to Jupiter and Uranus, again in the morning sky. I see that PaulC has already posted a photo of this comet in the observations, images and sketches section of the forum and reports a short tail. I hope others get a good view soon when the weather settles down.

It's not all plain sailing observing in the UK due to our ever changing weather, but be persistent and the opportunities may still arrive.
Pete Lawrence

Postby tim allan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:40 pm

July has been a terrible month for observing for me.

Living in the Scottish Borders is great for most of the year where we are blessed with very dark skies. However at this time of year it really does not get dark enough to be able to see anything (apart from the moon).
tim allan

Postby brianb » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:56 pm

[quote]July has been a terrible month for observing for me. [/quote]
Same here. Zero (yes 0) even partially clear nights. July & August are reliably the worst months of the year here, but this year has been dreadful since early May.

brianb

Postby tim allan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Even on completly clear nights this month I have been able to count on my hands how many stars are visible with the naked eye.

Roll on the Autumn.
tim allan

Postby crazy about stars » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi all
this month has been quite good for me as there has been no cloud dark skies
and a great moon
crazy about stars

Postby tim allan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Friday night/Saturday morning was the first time I've been able to use my telescope this month.

I'll be glad when we start getting darker nights . [:D]
tim allan

Postby Pete Lawrence » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:36 am

Ok - not quite the shot I was after but the weather caused all sorts of issues for me this month. Here's a quick, one-shot of comet 10P/Tempel 2 as it passed south of Jupiter and Uranus. I had planned to take a larger scale CCD shot of this but the clouds just wouldn't go!!

Pete Lawrence

Postby Pete Lawrence » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:36 am

And here is a quick shot of Mars and Saturn taken on the 26th in a brief gap between the clouds. Venus was also visible earlier on but the session was like a game of planetary tag. With Venus visible, Mars (the lower of the pair in this shot) also popped out but not Saturn. Then when Saturn appeared, Venus had disappeared!! It sometimes goes like that and all you can do is smile and take what the skies deliver...

The conjunction between Venus, Mars and Saturn will continue into the start of August so if you have a clear evening and a flatish western horizon, don't forget to take a look!

Pete Lawrence

Return to The Sky Guide follow-up