12 April, Leicester - Rockets for Yuri

12 April, Leicester - Rockets for Yuri

Postby Graham Southorn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:23 am

This just in from the National Space Centre...

[size=3][b]National Space Centre to Launch Rockets for Yuri[/b][/size]

12 April 2011 – 12:00

On the 12 April it will be 50 years since Yuri Gagarin left home without telling his family that he was about to become one of the most famous men in history and be the first to boldy go where no one has gone before.

"Circling the Earth in my orbital spaceship I marvelled at the beauty of our planet. People of the world, let us safeguard and enhance this beauty — not destroy it!" – Yuri Gagarin

Yuri Gagarin became the first human in space and the first person to orbit the Earth on 12 April 1961. The Vostok 1 spacecraft blasted off on a Soyuz rocket from Baikonur at 09:08 am local time.

During his flight, which lasted 108 minutes, he completed one orbit of the Earth, travelling at 27,400 kilometres per hour. On his descent, he ejected from the spacecraft and parachuted to the ground. He became a hero of the Soviet Union.

To mark this momentous occasion, at mid-day on the 12 April people from all over the UK will be firing rockets into the air, including hundreds of school children and family visitors at the National Space Centre in Leicester.

Dr Helen Sharman, who became Britain’s first astronaut when she spent 7 days on the Mir Space Station in 1991, said;“Yuri Gagarin was given the international crown for inspiration. Wherever he went, crowds of people thronged the streets to catch a glimpse of the person who embodied the abilities of fellow humans, the bravery of exploration, and the desire to discover what is new. On my last night in space, reflecting on my time, I realised that being away from Earth reinforced what my Russian friends had told me on the ground – what’s important is personal relationships and what people can do together. Space is grand and being part of it makes people feel grand.”

Dr Chris Welch, Chair of YuriGagarin50 said;“Space is an inspirational subject and human spaceflight in particular has motivated many young people to follow careers in science and engineering. Gagarin’s legacy touches many areas of our lives today; many people are unaware of how many applications space has in modern life and the important contribution space makes to the UK economy. In particular, space plays a vital role in the environmental monitoring of our planet. Yuri Gagarin was the first person to see the Earth from space and was struck by its beauty, its fragility and humanity’s duty to protect it.”
Graham Southorn

Return to Past events