central european summer time

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

central european summer time

Postby bajr » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:46 pm

UTC+2 -is for me in the uk what time exactly? Thought i had this but an ISS pass on thursday night took me by surprise after checking for passes on heavens above that day,so obviously i've got it wrong.-Thanks

Brian
bajr

RE: central european summer time

Postby arthur dent » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi [b][color="#ff9900"]bajr[/color][/b]

UT = Universal Time / UTC = Co-ordinated Universal Time is the same as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Currently the UK is on British Summer Time (BST) which is 1 hour ahead of both GMT and UT

So, if Ive understood your question correctly, UTC+2 would be 2 hrs ahead of UT/UTC/GMT and 1 hour ahead of BST.

CET or Central European Time is always 1hour ahed of the UK, so currently it would be the same as your UTC+2 or the same as East Eurpoean Time or USSR Zone 1.

This link might help: [url=http://www.iris.edu/seismon/html/utc.html]http://www.iris.edu/seismon/html/utc.html[/url]

Hope this answers your question,

Regards

Art
Meade ETX-105EC
Celestron NexStar 6SE, 9x50 RACI finder, MRF, powertank & wing thing
Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom + various other EPs
Canon 550D + T-ring, Philips NC880C and 900C webcams for AP (all un-modded)
arthur dent

Postby lancashire astroguy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:00 am

UTC + 2 is the time zone we should be (and hopefully soon will be) using during the summer months in the UK, whilst UTC + 1 will be used in winter. Frankly, though, I would be happy with UTC + 3 and UTC + 2 for summer and winter respectively. It would reduce the wasted morning sunlight in summer and give us lighter evenings in winter.

Regards,
James
lancashire astroguy

Postby spartacus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:30 am

Hi all, I get a good deal being UTC+2 during the summer whilst geographically being west of the Greenwich Meridian ! Bring on the beers ! [:D] Though I fully appreciate there are those who'd prefer it to be dark, miserable & depressing all year round & especially on Royal wedding days moan moan whinge whinge !

Keef
spartacus

Postby bajr » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:40 pm

Thank you for taking the time to explain that,and thanks for the link[:)]

Brian
bajr

Postby arthur dent » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:26 pm

You are welcome bajr

As long as it helped. That's the whole point of the forum.

Art
Meade ETX-105EC
arthur dent

Postby david morris » Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: lancashire astroguy
UTC + 2 is the time zone we should be (and hopefully soon will be) using during the summer months in the UK, whilst UTC + 1 will be used in winter. Frankly, though, I would be happy with UTC + 3 and UTC + 2 for summer and winter respectively. It would reduce the wasted morning sunlight in summer and give us lighter evenings in winter.
[/quote]

I am at a loss as to why anyone would want 'double summer time' in summer and 'summer time' in winter. The usual reasons are:

Lighter evenings. Good for astronomy then.
Less road accidents because of lighter evenings. But the mornings are darker and there is an extra hour of ice on the roads in winter.
Tourism. Simple, open earlier.
Wasted Morning Sunlight. GET UP EARLIER. Come on, lets not get tied to the clock. For millions of years life has used daylight, not the clock. If it's light at 0500 get up and enjoy it, I do.
European Businesses. Of course we need to be on the CET timezone...hold on, email and the like are available-so that's invalid then.

If people would get over the 'clock' time and use the daylight effectively then the argument is moot.

Last post on the forum, bye all.
david morris

Postby worcspaul » Wed May 25, 2011 8:50 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: David Morris

[quote]ORIGINAL: lancashire astroguy
[/quote]

I am at a loss as to why anyone would want 'double summer time' in summer and 'summer time' in winter.  The usual reasons are:

Lighter evenings.  Good for astronomy then.
Less road accidents because of lighter evenings.  But the mornings are darker and there is an extra hour of ice on the roads in winter.
Tourism.  Simple, open earlier.
Wasted Morning Sunlight.  GET UP EARLIER.  Come on, lets not get tied to the clock.  For millions of years life has used daylight, not the clock.  If it's light at 0500 get up and enjoy it, I do.
European Businesses.  Of course we need to be on the CET timezone...hold on, email and the like are available-so that's invalid then.

If people would get over the 'clock' time and use the daylight effectively then the argument is moot.

Last post on the forum, bye all.

[/quote]

Hear B****y Hear! [:D]

worcspaul

Postby sftonkin » Wed May 25, 2011 11:20 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: pwalsh61

Hear B****y Hear! [:D][/quote]

+1
sftonkin

Postby arthur dent » Wed May 25, 2011 5:43 pm

+2
Meade ETX-105EC
arthur dent

Next

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question