we need large black eyes

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

we need large black eyes

Postby thebest » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:33 am

I was pondering, is it possible to view the milky way in detail like that in photos?

Are we limited to what we can achieve to see in great detail because our eyes are not 6 inchs in diameter? Is that why the 'greys' need large eyes to navigate the galaxies? Or is that just concidence? I wonder if we'd be better astronomers if we had a transplant the eyes from a Maki lemar.
Thanks
thebest
thebest

RE: we need large black eyes

Postby david48 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:03 pm

Yes, the Greys' big eyes do seem a bit enigmatic. Your suggestion that they result from the increased optical sensitivity required to navigate the Galaxy, is interesting. However such a theory would face an obvious objection:

Suppose a species is able to build starships which can fly around the Galaxy. Won't they also be able to build optical instruments to enhance their vision. Instruments like telescopes. Or "night-vision" devices, such as we've invented on Earth. These artificial aids enable humans to transcend the limitations of natural, biological vision. And intelligent aliens, like Greys, could presumably do the same. So perhaps a more plausible explanation for the large Grey eyes, could be obtained by asking:

What planet did they evolve on - what sun illuminates their home planet?

Perhaps their home planet is in a system orbiting a Red Dwarf star. That star will shed only weak light on the planet. So creatures living on the planet, such as the Greys, will need big eyes, in order to capture enough light to see their way around.

If that's the case, then their big eyes will make them "natural astronomers". Able to perceive the stars, and the Universe, superbly well. Could that be what inspired them to travel out into the Universe, and visit the Earth?

david48

Postby starchaser7 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:50 pm

It would make my day if either of you were Richard d hall from showcase tv. On subject of greys have you seen the UFO footage from using night vision goggles? What do you think if you have? Me I think they are satellites but then again ...( search night vision UFO in you tube)
starchaser7

Postby thebest » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:10 pm

[quote](in reply to david48)
[/quote] as much as it may perturb you, i see greys all the time..... just kidding.

Yeah i've given myself some leave to ponder on the night vision videos too. I reckon they are sats. If not...then who's air traffic controlling that sh*t storm of traffic up there. Still worrying if they are sats...
thebest

Postby thebest » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:10 pm

thanks for shinning the torch on the other side of the wall. Interesting points indeed. Still...this may come as a shock to you..and me too...but i just realised my orignal question remains unanswered....the 'silly' one.

Revised.
is it possible to view the milky way in some detail like that in photos ..Some ppl tell me that they can view it better in other countries such as Africa?
thebest

Postby fritsey » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:13 pm

There was a programme on tv recently and there was reference to the fact that human eyes do not reflect light back in the dark like animals do due to a missing 'lining' on the back of our eyes. This lining allows animals to see better in the dark apparently. Does this mean animals can see the stars in greater detail I wonder?
Fritsey
fritsey

Postby david48 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:50 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Fritsey

There was a programme on tv recently and there was reference to the fact that human eyes do not reflect light back in the dark like animals do due to a missing 'lining' on the back of our eyes. This lining allows animals to see better in the dark apparently. Does this mean animals can see the stars in greater detail I wonder?
Fritsey

[/quote]

Owls have big light-sensitive eyes, which may provide a kind of RFT view of the stars - if owls had any interest in looking upwards at the night sky.

Unfortunately, owls seem satisfied to spend their night-time flying around, looking downwards at the ground, in order to spy some hapless mouse or vole, which they can swoop down on and eat.

The owls' lack of interest in the stars, might be excused by their having only small brains.

But so many big-brained humans aren't interested in the stars either! I can't understand that. Suppose I meet someone, and find out they don't know anything about astronomy. And moreover - they don't [i]want [/i]to know - they say "I'm not interested in that sort of thing". Then I think there must be something wrong with them. Like they're not fully human. Just some kind of humanoid talking animal.

david48

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question