Think I just saw a meteor

More from Pete Lawrence on the magazine's monthly stargazing guide, plus your observations.

Think I just saw a meteor

Postby Reddwarfpossey » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm a train driver and think I just saw a meteor burning up in the atmosphere it was by euxton balshaw lane junction near wigan at 22.55 it was glowing red and pieces were coming off it how do I find out if it was a meteor is their somewhere that tracks them or a place were you can report them to?? did anyone else see it apart from me and another driver on my train
Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Reddwarfpossey on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reddwarfpossey

Re: Think I just saw a meteor

Postby Tomstar33 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Same here me and my dad saw one in cornwall when across about a quarter of the sky was in one large piece then two little ones broke off and burn up and the main one carried on. It also was bright white then when orange. Also the tail was huge and didnt seem to burn up.
Tomstar33

Re: Think I just saw a meteor

Postby Reddwarfpossey » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:29 am

I saw one large piece come of at the back and the main piece was like something you see in a science fiction film glowing white and orange with tiny pieces coming of at first i thought it was a jet then realised it was going to fast for that but seeing this in real life was weird but can it be the same one if you saw it in cornwall when i saw it it was coming from the direction of winter hill which is were all the tv masts are in the north west i will try work out the proper direction in the morning it great that someone saw it. :D
Reddwarfpossey

Return to The Sky Guide follow-up