turn out that light

A place to discuss the dreaded orange glow

turn out that light

Postby crazy about stars » Sun May 16, 2010 9:33 am

Hi
I am outside observing and its going great and then all of a sudden the garden light turns on right in front of the telescope so I had to go get a
towel from inside and put the towel over the lightbut it was a windy night so It kept blowing of I had nothing to stick down with so I packed up not light pollution BUt it made me think how much light can ruin observing
good luck to ya all out there and as I say turn of that god dam [size=6]LIGHT[/size]
crazy about stars

RE: turn out that light

Postby cdghunter » Tue May 18, 2010 3:26 pm

I make a mental note to switch my PIR security light off when I take my telescope out into the garden but I can't control the neighbours light :(
cdghunter

Re: turn out that light

Postby dave.b » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:58 pm

I specifically changed ours to a PIR bulk head light that is on a switched fused spur so I can easily turn it off. The garden flood lights are on manual switches and rarely get used. On the other hand, my neighbour turns his flood light on to let his dogs out for toilet before going to bed, which in winter can be right in the middle of an observing session! Ahhhh!
dave.b

Re: turn out that light

Postby SkyWatcher17 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:49 pm

My back lawn has a nice sweet spot, but my 7 foot high (north end) fence blew down in the gales and until I can get it fixed I can get the occasional security light blues. :cry:
Sky-Watcher Explorer 130M, EQ5 Deluxe, AZ5 Deluxe, SkyMax 102mm, SkyMax 127mm, Orion/SW ST80s (both modified), Vixen Porta II/Vixen SXG Hal-130, Orion 90mm StarMax , Celestron NexStar Evolution 9.25", TS Optics/GSO: SVD series 150mm, f/6.
SkyWatcher17

Return to Light Pollution