Gibbous Moon in May

Gibbous Moon in May

Postby SkyWatcher17 » Thu May 07, 2015 5:27 pm

I got the Maksutov out early this morning to watch Saturn and the Moon low in the south-west. Saturn was a bit of a washout, too much cloud to see much. I watched the moon from transit at a 19.5° altitude to 04:30 BST at 26.2°azimuth south west with around a 96% illumination 388,285 kilometres away. I used 15 & 13mm Celestron Plossl EP’s sometimes combined with a 2x Barlow.

Tycho was surprisingly bright, Copernicus was easily discerned and the Seas of Tranquility and Serenity were superb. The waning gibbous phase allowed me to view some excellent crater shadows including Hercules, Atlas, Posidonius, Macrobius, Santbech and Rheita.

I’m still spam aren’t I?
Sky-Watcher Explorer 130M, EQ5 Deluxe, AZ5 Deluxe, SkyMax 102mm, SkyMax 127mm, Orion/SW ST80s (both modified), Vixen Porta II/Vixen SXG Hal-130, Orion 90mm StarMax , Celestron NexStar Evolution 9.25", TS Optics/GSO: SVD series 150mm, f/6.
SkyWatcher17

Re: Gibbous Moon in May

Postby ThePeltonian » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi, how do you find the explorer 130? I was looking at that one but opted to go for the skymax 127... eagerly awaiting its arrival..

I would love to be able to see Saturn and Jupiter over the next few days but its not looking good weather wise in Barnsley lol... Have you tried taking any pictures with that scope? I would like to try to but need to do some reading up first..

I would have thought that the forums here would be busier, seems like many old posts..

Stu
ThePeltonian

Re: Gibbous Moon in May

Postby Aratus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:30 pm

SkyWatcher 17. I would have thought that by now you wouldn't be triggering the forum's alarm systems. (Is that what you mean by 'spam'?) What problems are you having?
There was a time when I used to boycott the moon when it was nearly full, but actually there is always stuff to see right up to 99% Shame about Saturn, but it is never at its best after it has just risen (bit like me really :D )

ThePeltonian. Friday night/Saturday morning forecast is looking good!
I'm a bit of a newcomer myself. You are welcome to help freshen up the forum. 8-)
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Telescopic Observing