Webcam Capture Software

Webcam Capture Software

Postby ThePeltonian » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Hello,

I'm going to have a go at taking some webcam footage and was wondering what capture software you guys use, is it the generic ones that come with the webcam? or is there some better capture software out there?

Stu
ThePeltonian

Re: Webcam Capture Software

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:50 pm

ThePeltonian wrote:Hello,

I'm going to have a go at taking some webcam footage and was wondering what capture software you guys use, is it the generic ones that come with the webcam? or is there some better capture software out there?

Stu

I've not done much webcam stuff, but Sharpcap seems to be one of the commonly used ones.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:13 pm

AMCap Free is one that get's distributed with a number of 'solar system imagers'.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby dave.b » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:00 am

Google "webcam astro capture software" to see a list of all of the popular solutions. Try them out find one that works with your camera and does what you want.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby ThePeltonian » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:35 pm

fabulous thanks guys much appreciated - just need to find my webcam.. used it for making a lego animation with my lad and cant find it now lol..
ThePeltonian

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:42 am

ThePeltonian wrote:fabulous thanks guys much appreciated - just need to find my webcam.. used it for making a lego animation with my lad and cant find it now lol..

You'll probably find that discount stores like B&M will have them for about £2.99
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby ThePeltonian » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:36 am

I picked up a phillips spc900nc quite cheap, so added a 1.25" adapter with a ir filter built in.
Not had chance to try it out yet and the skies have been clear this week!

Was walking the dog this morning @ 5.30am and Jupiter was about 2 o'clock to the moon and very bright.. would have loved to have had everything setup for then it would have made a great picture, although not sure what detail would get from Jupiter as the moon is so bright at the moment.

I have down Registax and Sharpcap I might test these out initially dont want to overload myself learning new software. (I may try astrosnap out as read some good things about it)

Might prep this evening just in case, need to test the kit out, any recommendations for this evenings viewings?

Stu
ThePeltonian

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:00 am

ThePeltonian wrote:I picked up a phillips spc900nc quite cheap, so added a 1.25" adapter with a ir filter built in.
Not had chance to try it out yet and the skies have been clear this week!

Was walking the dog this morning @ 5.30am and Jupiter was about 2 o'clock to the moon and very bright.. would have loved to have had everything setup for then it would have made a great picture, although not sure what detail would get from Jupiter as the moon is so bright at the moment.

I have down Registax and Sharpcap I might test these out initially dont want to overload myself learning new software. (I may try astrosnap out as read some good things about it)

Might prep this evening just in case, need to test the kit out, any recommendations for this evenings viewings?

Stu

The sensor size on webcams is typically very small, so your range of targets is constrained somewhat.
This also makes it tricky to locate objects - so start by making sure that your finder and the webcam view are properly aligned.
It's also worth knowing that you're likely to have to significantly adjust focus between any eyepiece and the webcam - though this can be an unexpected help because bright objects create a huge 'out of focus ring' that can be picked up even if they're not exactly in the field of view.

Jupiter and the Moon are the obvious targets for this evening of course.
Later on, Mars will be up, though it's a lot smaller than Jupiter.
If you're observing Jupiter/Mars, be warned that your camera is likely to auto-set its exposure on the basis of "bright object on a mostly dark background", so the planets themselves will be overexposed. There is a slider in sharpcap to adjust the exposure - that will really help to bring out the details on the discs.

All this learned last night. :)

I think I should have paid the extra few £££ for the 1.25" adapter with the IR filter, live and learn!
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby ThePeltonian » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:19 am

@Gfamily2 Fabulous info thankyou.. will have a go this evening.. need to get wrapped up :)

What scope / cam do you use just out of interest?
ThePeltonian

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:32 am

ThePeltonian wrote:@Gfamily2 Fabulous info thankyou.. will have a go this evening.. need to get wrapped up :)

What scope / cam do you use just out of interest?

I have a Meade 8" LS - it's basically an SCT on an alt-az mount.
The camera was a £2.99 one from one of the discount stores.

Sharpcap for the capture (about 30 seconds) and processed in Registax just using all the default options with a final crop at the end to reduce the image size.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Return to Astro imaging