Dobsonian mount for existing OTA?

Share practical advice and tips on making your own kit

Dobsonian mount for existing OTA?

Postby duine » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi all,

I have a 10" SkyWatcher OTA which I'd like to use on a dob mount. Now I know I can build one - and may still do so - but I wondered if anyone can recommend a source for the mount only?

Mark
duine

Re: Dobsonian mount for existing OTA?

Postby Peter.Lam.140390 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:41 am

Why don't you try a English mount / yoke mount instead of a Dobsonian one? If you think you'll be able to build one, a yoke mount is not much harder to build than a Dobsonian mount is.
I know that's not what you're asking but I just feel that an alt-alt mount will be much more useful than a Dob for sure...
But sadly there's almost no commercial English mount in the market :-(
Peter.Lam.140390

Re: Dobsonian mount for existing OTA?

Postby Supercooper » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:53 am

Hi there.
I made a Dobson mounting for Paul Money's 14" 360mm f6 Newtonian in 2002. It was 'approved' by John Dobson when he came to the 'Horncastle Astronomy Weekend' that September.

I made the mounting out of 3/4" ply only. The bearings were simple drainpipe and plastic sheet - Not expensive teflon. And it is still working 100% today, fourteen years later.

I'm not a woodworker but it was reasonably easy to build. Took about a week (That included trips to the wood-shop to have the parts cut to my specifications - They didn't do it while I waited. This is Lincolnshire, they can make the Spanish mañana look like a frenzied blur!).

We now have it on wheels so that it can be pulled from the garage and set up in about a minute.

The old eq mounting was heavy and was too much bother to set up. The Dobson gets much more use. (See pic - You cant see too much detail I'm afraid as we painted it with exterior gloss 'Black')

For the inquisitive: Yes, it is the same Paul Money who reviews equipment for the Sky at Night Magazine :P
Attachments
PaulM_JohnD Small.jpg
Here's John D and Paul M with the 14" in the background.
PaulM_JohnD Small.jpg (29.01 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
14inch small.jpg
Here is me (L) and Paul (R) with the finished telescope in 2002.
14inch small.jpg (57.61 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
________________________________________________________________________________________
For My FREE Telescope Help Website: http://supercooper.jimdo.com/

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Return to Telescope Making